We'll wrap up the week with another one that'd be tough to scan: from 1981,
Shocking Tales Digest #1, cover by Ernie Colón, although some images might have been taken from Bob Powell and Jack Kirby.
This was a Harvey comics reprint digest, a one-off, made up of stories from the 1950's, from titles like
Black Cat Comics, for Bob Powell's "Colorama!"
Alarming Tales is also strongly represented, with nine Jack Kirby shorts, making up almost half the book!
"The Cadmus Seed!" and "The Last Enemy! both seem like precursor, test versions of his later DC work: "Enemy" is very
Kamandi. Despite the little "TERROR" skull in the corners, most of these aren't super scary; but still not bad.
I hadn't seen this one before, but if you're ever somewhere with a bunch of Archie digests, give 'em the once-over: every so often you'll find an oddball like this! I think from the same shelf at EntertainMart I got a Disney digest a bit ago; I'm hoping I luck into say, DC's Plop! digests at some point.
That cover looks so cool! I bet it’s a fun read. I personally think digest trades should be more of a thing, collecting GA & SA material from different comic companies that are either now in the public domain or just less popular than the big two. I think there could be a market for that
ReplyDeleteThat’s basically what AC does, except in regular comic book dimensions. I do agree they should bring the digest size back though. It used to be big in the 80’s and 90’s but now even Archie’s barely doing it. It’s mostly 3-4 reprints with a new lead story in standard size lately.
DeleteOne of my LCS had a bunch of digests recently too. Got some good stuff, including the Christmas one with that unpublished 70’s Sandman tale with the Seal Men.
That flying chair on the lower right is definitely Kirby- very New Gods.