Tuesday, August 18, 2026
This one I've barely made a dent into.
Well, maybe I'll make some more headway during scary-season: the complete Warren Comics Creepy.
(From Creepy #1, "Werewolf!" Written by Larry Ivie, art by Frank Frazetta.) Dark Horse reprinted the entire classic horror magazine, which had run for 145 issues. I'm on, um, issue 4? Back in 2023, Humble Bundle offered the whole shebang, and maybe the week before had done likewise with Eerie, for another 139 issues! Ooh, better get started.
(From Creepy #1, "The Success Story" Written by Archie Goodwin, art by Al Williamson. Perhaps not intentionally, it reads like a middle finger to Bob Kane.) The introduction of the first volume describes Warren's attempt to re-create the EC Comics they loved, with as much of the original staff as they could get, but in magazine form to get out from under the eye of the Comics Code. A lot of credit goes to editor/writer/maybe sometimes artist? Archie Goodwin, for shepherding the whole thing and generally being just cool as hell to work for. (Among a million other things, Goodwin also wrote a couple years of Marvel's Star Wars, some of my earliest comics!)
(From Creepy #3, "Tell-Tale Heart!" Written by Edgar Allan Poe, adapted by Archie Goodwin, art by Reed Crandall.) The Humble Bundle is a great way to get these on the cheap--the first Archive alone is six bucks digital now, maybe sixteen for the paperback, in the fifties for the hardback: I paid like twenty for the Bundle. But the absolute best way to read Creepy (or Eerie!) is a random issue you find somewhere: even now they feel mysterious and forbidden somehow. That said, I don't know if I've ever seen this particular Bundle offered again.
(From Creepy #4, "Moon City!" Written by Larry Englehart, art by Al McWilliams.) So far there's been more sci-fi horror than I'd expected; I wonder if that holds true for the whole run?
Those deals are tempting, especially if you can’t already find them online to read for free, which is definitely a 50/50 chance depending on website.
ReplyDeleteThat Success story story isn’t just an unintentional middle finger to Bob Kane but an entire Industry full of Bob Kane, especially back then, though I suspect some of that behavior still exists even now. I’m sure an adapted Archie Goodwin loose autobiography style comic or comic magazine series where be spills all the tea about his personal experiences with the Bob Kane’s of the industry would’ve been interesting to read.
All I know about Creepy is that it’s why we got Batman Black and White, and that’s enough for me.
ReplyDeleteBut yeah, Archie Goodwin was involved in so many great projects and wrote so many great stories. He definitely deserves all the credit he gets and more.
I’m sure he still doesn’t get enough credit for his work, either creatively or administratively.
Delete