Wednesday, February 21, 2024

"Expansion."

I know I haven't read every Squadron Supreme story, but while I've seen a few times where the Skrull is mentioned giving the future Doctor Spectrum his Power Prism; I think there's been some that allude to the Skrull serving a stint on the team, like some Gumby-looking alien sourpuss on some other team--hey! Yeah, it's a nod to the Martian Manhunter, but I don't think "Skymax" or the Skrullian Skymaster has made enough appearances or got enough page time to ever have been given much characterization. In classic Squadron continuity, the Skrulls were largely extinct, so he might've been the last of his race; very DC-traditional. We're playing pretty loose with continuity ourselves, since like I said, I don't even know how many Squadrons or Squadron-derivatives are on 616-earth lately. 

Chocos are of course J'onn J'onzz's cookie of choice, although in the Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League issues establishing his vice, it was simply Oreos at first. Kaleidos are also real; a semi-local store brand, allegedly pretty good? If you were to buy a ton of cookies to taste-test, I suppose.  

Power Princess rattles off the "utility positions" they were looking to fill for the Squadron:  usually, their "magic chick" was Arcanna, who of course is based on Zatanna. Satana isn't based on her, and aside from the similarity of their names, is she a good fit? The Princess thinks so, possibly because she wants a drinking buddy. Poor Machine Man has been conscripted for the Red Tornado slot: I don't recollect the Squadron usually having a robot member, except maybe Tom Thumb's helpers. Also, MM's purple finish still looks sharp, but I almost wish Hasbro would knock out a red-finish version, like in his limited series, set in the far-off future of...um, four years ago?

Oh, and should Nick have known about Talos's past? Enh, time for more Secret Invasion complaining: that show made it seem like not only did Nick not do a great job, but the Skrulls might have carried him, for years? Like they did all the spying and Nick got the credit and the rep.

3 comments:

Mr. Morbid said...

Admittedly without having watched it, but having seen & read the incredibly harsh reviews about it, that sounds like a VERY fair assessment of the series. Maybe it really was for the best that it stayed a tv series and wasn’t adapted as a movie given the already huge failure it was, despite perhaps that adapting it on the big screen and involving all of the MCU might’ve helped save it. You can’t tell me the idea of Skrulls posing as Cap & dead Tony wouldn’t have been worth seeing.

Hasbro really did an awesome job on that Aaron figure didn’t they? Can’t believe he’s almost 10 years old now. And now that you mention it, I wouldn’t mind a Barry-Windsor-Smith style red Machine Man figure.

I no longer have a Kroger by me, so I can’t speak to how good Kaleidicos are, but I do shop regularly at Neighborhood Walmart & regularly buy their Great Value knockoff versions of name brands. They’re not ok, but not as good as the name brand ones despite overselling it to customers. But hey, with ever-rising astronomical food prices, we all learn to enjoy the “something’s not quite right about this” flavor of store brand food.

I definitely want to see where this goes.

H said...

Isn’t Vision supposed to be Marvel’s version of Red Tornado? Just get one of those- there’s like half a dozen, as far as I remember.

Anonymous said...

They came out familiar similar to each other.