Wednesday, March 06, 2024

"Schlubby."

I'm usually further ahead than this--in fact, I have other storylines with a couple strips done--but this Squadron one I'm barely ahead of the chains. I don't have it super planned out, I'm kind of seeing where it goes. In fact, I didn't think the other Squadron members were going to show up here; Blur may have had his own ideas. His own terrible ideas. 

I also don't like how "Super-Skrull" has become a generic; for me there's one proper Super-Skrull, Kl'rt, with the Fantastic Four powers. He's had a storied career, a jobber's jobber, to use the wrestling parlance. Then there's Paibok the 'Power Skrull,' who pretty obviously seems like they needed a new Skrull for the role of "total dick" because Kl'rt had almost managed to chip out some character development over the years. Anyway, here we've got the Marvel Select Super-Skrull, who was pretty cheap at the Disney Store still as I type this. Didn't love the alternate head on that one, but maybe it'll do something for you.

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid said...

Yeah I guess maybe you’re right & DeFalco thought maybe a new hard ass Final boss-level Skrull was needed for the purpose of his story. He’s not really shown up much since then right? Maybe an appearance or two but that’s it? And how comic book-y cornball was it to give him a name that sounds like “Payback.”?

I forgot which version of Nightwing you’re using, but it’s the angry black guy version right? I’d love for Hasbro to make more Squadron figures & not make them wait 4-5 years in between figures. I’d even be cool with them making the Jason Aaron versions of Dr. Doom-naut, Silver Sorceress, Thanos & whatever that Green Goblin character was supposed to be.

Same for the sidekicks & Imperial Guard members. Speaking of, how messed up is it that Hasbro hasn’t made more than one of those? We’re just NOW getting a Lilandra figure, even if it’s in a 2-pack, albeit a cool 2-pack with Broodverine.

CalvinPitt said...

Is that how it was pronounced? I always said it like "Pie-bock", which is not an improvement. I feel like he's been in some of the stuff Al Ewing writes the last couple years. Maybe as a bodyguard to Hulking or whatever the half-Skrull, half-Kree kid from New Avengers is going by. But maybe I'm confusing him with Super-Skrull.

To be fair to Skymax, Nick Fury probably deserved to get shot at least a few of those times, given all the dodgy crap he pulls.