Friday, December 29, 2006

Odin's on to something: I totally want action figures of my kids now.
These meetings would probably go faster without the Heroclix, but he's the boss, so...

Oddly, my youngest would probably come with a hammer too. Multiple hammers, actually. Where he got them, I can't say; but if that baby ever gets his hands on a real one I fear for the table, the dog, myself, society...

Coming up in the next day or two, the action figures of 2006! Well, at least the ones I bought, anyway.

From Thor #349, written and drawn by Walt Simonson.


Some of my Christmas haul:
I didn't have time to watch the Animated Trek in the seventies; how the hell am I going to do it now?
Yesterday, my oldest son got to go to a basketball camp; and I got to take him. I watched for a bit, got some nice photos, and then still had three hours to kill; so I actually had some time for reading. (The wife had the baby, thankfully: I would have had to run him down for the entire time, and it's only fun for maybe the first two hours.)

I read Lisey's Story first, and while that is the better book, I was more looking forward to Cell, Stephen King's zombie novel. Well, not traditional zombies, since ala 28 Days Later, King takes liberties with zombie formula: how many zombie movies have you seen with a levitating zombie fight? OK, how many of those weren't from Hong Kong? That's what I thought. (Wait, isn't there a levitating Deadite in Evil Dead 2? Not quite the same, but I'm tired and my synapses are shooting pretty randomly right now.)

Even though in parts Cell really reminded me of The Stand, particularly towards the end, I still enjoyed it. And this morning, as I went out to start my car and scrape the ice, I heard something in the yard next door, a cracking pop in the ice, but couldn't see it because of the fence.

I stopped. Waited a second. Nothing, no other noise.

I got in the car and started it, but the ice was so thick I couldn't see anything outside. And before I got out to start scraping the windows, I stopped again. For just a moment, there could be anything outside waiting for me. A stray cat. A car thief. A zombie, traditional or otherwise. Anything.

I got out. Of course, there was nothing there. I chipped a porthole in the ice, enough to see out of to get to work, and drove off. But I'd definitely say I was a bit more disappointed than relieved, and I think a lot of you might have felt the same way. And that's why I've been a fan of Stephen King for over 20 (!) years.


Oh, I did have time to watch a couple episodes of Star Trek: the Animated Series today, too. Which probably further casts whatever taste I may have into doubt, but I've always loved Trek, and I haven't seen almost all of these episodes. Star Trek is not really in fashion right now, but that's probably a whole 'nother post, and I'm too tired to get into that one. Maybe after I've watched a few more episodes.

No comments: