Friday, October 20, 2006

I was thinking a giant robot that collected Sgt. Rock couldn't be all bad, but...


While I loved the Fleetway/Quality reprints of British comics, I have no idea on this one. Ro-Jaws, Hammerstein, and Mek-quake (pictured above) were in both A.B.C. Warriors and Ro-busters. From the few issues of both I've seen, A.B.C. Warriors was a gritty war story, and Ro-busters was a slapstick parody of adventure comics. But with some of the same characters. The overall effect is like taking Gregory Peck and David Niven straight from filming the Guns of Navarone to play the same characters in Hogun's Heroes. Maybe.

This is exactly the sort of thing that should be looked up on the internet, but I'd rather research it out of the quarter boxes, thanks. If I ever piece it together, I'll let you know. I still need to put together all my random issues of Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, and Rouge Trooper. I've also been trying to find the last chapters of Dare the Impossible (early Grant Morrison) and Harry 20 on the High Rock; the last featuring Alan Davis art and being probably the best orbital-prison escape comic out of Britain that you'll ever read. Probably. They've got a ton of weird, great books over there that I haven't read yet, so I don't want to commit to an answer there.

From Cyber Crush: Robots in Revolt #8, Ro-busters: "The Fall and Rise of Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein!" Written by Pat Mills, art by Kevin O'Neill.

No comments: