Friday, November 10, 2006


From Fury #6, "6: The Man Who Loved the War" Written by Garth Ennis, pencils by Darrick Robertson, inks by Jimmy Palmiotti.

How to put this...I have some strong feelings on this topic, and they may seem contradictory, but I am not conflicted on this. Clear?

I do think people have the right to smoke if they want to. A lot of people--no, strike that, I think I've seen more politicians and groups than actual people make a stink about the issue of second-hand smoke; but I personally still feel people should have the right to smoke inside, somewhere. (The 'Smokatorium' of Judge Dredd comes to mind.) Then the issue of non-smoker waitstaff and such working in bars full of smoke comes up...ignoring that a lot of those smoke as well. (Ideally, I'd like the businesses to front the cash for these employees to be protected from secondhand smoke, by diving suits or astronaut gear. At the very least, A.I.M. beekeeper outfits.)

I do think cigarettes and tobacco products should be taxed like crazy, and the money put into a trust for smokers' eventual health problems. (What is it used for now? In this state, I'm not sure.) And those smokers' should have to forfeit some future health care benefits, either public or private. So, I'm all for discouraging smokers, but I won't outright tell them they can't smoke. It's not up to me, or government, or church, or anyone, to take away people's freedom to kill themselves slowly while paying for the privilege. After all, what's the alternative? Isn't tobacco still highly subsidized by the government? And an export? Should it be banned, driven underground like marijuana?

(Before anyone asks, I have had relatives, grandparents, that smoked and died, with deaths that were at least related to smoking.)

Which brings us to the current ban on smoking at Marvel. To me, that shows the defining line between the need for licensable characters to be wholesome enough to be put on sheets and fruit snacks, and the need for those characters to either ring true, or look 'cool.' (Be honest now: was Wolverine cooler when he smoked? Well, maybe because he was written better back then. How about the Thing?) Banning smoking because it's a bad example for the kiddies doesn't make a lot of sense if no kids read these...

I don't get the ban, honestly: can bad guys still smoke? Can the Kingpin still light one up? 'Cause, you know, the kids are dying to imitate a rotund crimelord. Yeah. (Although, watch MTV for 15 minutes, and the Kingpin might seem like a bloody role model.)

So, the long and short of all this babble is while I don't smoke, or want to be around smoke; I think people should have the right to smoke somewhere, and that the fact is people throughout history and fiction (and fictional histories and historical fiction), as well as a lot of real people today, smoke. It's foolish and a little worrying to try to 'sanitize' that fact.

Clear as the air at closing time, back in the day. Which reminds me: I used to live in Missoula, MT, and at one point some forward thinking entrepreneur started a smoke-free bar. It was a very nice bar, and I saw a lot of good small bands there. It also died a dog's death, because after every set, traditionally when everyone would drink, everyone would go out to smoke. Very social, but not a great financial model. I don't know if this is happening now, since I'm too old, and don't drink, smoke, socialize...

Apparently, even the MAX books are smokeless now: I bought Wisdom #1 the other day: it's fun with violence, but Wisdom was an Ellis creation, and smoked like a tire fire. Writer Paul Cornell does have a page, that shows why Wisdom isn't smoking, without being too preachy or snarky about it. Good issue, by the way.

What wasn't great, or at least, didn't take off, was the Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. miniseries written by Howard Chaykin, back in 1995. I haven't read it (which won't stop me!), but I do recall an interview with Chaykin on it, where he mentioned if he had to quit smoking, so did Nick. But I don't recall if that was his idea, editorial mandate, or reader suggested. (The interview was from the late Hero Magazine, one of Wizard's competitors before the 90's comic/collectible crash.) Putting Chaykin on Fury, story and art, and giving him free rein and a little lead time, seems like it should be money in the bank; but what do I know.

Hmm. Now I need to find some old Chaykin, but maybe later. Long Fantastic Four piece coming up soon, so keep your eyes open.

1 comment:

SallyP said...

It seems as though there is always going to be a group of people trying to save us from ourselves. They went after drinking, then smoking, and they are going after fat people now. *sigh*