Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Random answers!
1. And now the answers to yesterday's post, which is also a sneaky way to get two days worth from a pile of random scans. This first one is from Captain America and the Falcon #164, "Queen of the Werewolves!" Written by Steve Englehart, art by Alan Lee Weiss. What's more surprising: Falcon turning into a werewolf, Falcon turning into a giant werewolf, or Falcon's hair exploding?

2. From Brave and the Bold #119, "Bring Back Killer Krag" featuring Batman and Man-Bat, written by Bob Haney, art by Jim Aparo. This one dates back to when Man-Bat was doing a lot of bounty hunter work. I can accept Batman taking a dose of the Man-Bat serum so they could escape, but unless his cowl and cape are made of unstable molecules, how did his cape and cowl change shape?

3. Moon Knight (first series) #30, "The Moonwraith, Three Sixes, and a Beast" Written by Doug Moench, art by Bill Sienkiewicz. This was Sienkiewicz's last issue on the book, as he felt he'd peaked on issue #26, "Hit It." You can see in the Werewolf shades of how he would draw Wolfsbane when he got to New Mutants, though.

4. From X-Men Annual #6, "Blood Feud!" Written by Chris Claremont, pencils by Bill Sienkiewicz (again!), inks by Bob Wiacek. Although this is one of my favorite single issues ever, and I've had this since I was a kid, the scan's actually from a coverless copy of X-Men vs. Dracula #1. (I think that had a Chris Sprouse cover, off the top of my head.)

This sequence cemented for me Nightcrawler over Wolverine as the cool X-Men, and not just because my name is a sound effect in the second panel. (Yes, spelled like that. 'Chuk' is a family name. Shut up.) I still think the issue should have ended shortly after that...

5. The Invaders #8, "Union Jack is Back!" Written by Roy Thomas, art by Frank Robbins and Frank Springer. Baron Blood trounces the Invaders with clever/stupid traps, until Union Jack beats him by booby-trapping his own gun. What UJ would've done if the fight had been going better for him, I don't know. I'm guessing, pistolwhip Blood to death.

6. "The Terrible Secret of Negative Man!" From Doom Patrol #87, reprinted in Super-Team Family #8. Written by Arnold Drake, art by Bruno Premiani. I think this story was also reprinted in a DC Digest, but without the big reveal. I have read more of the old Doom Patrol, and little of the Morrison ones, but one of the few recent DC continuity fixes that I've liked has been that all the versions of the Doom Patrol are just as valid. Even the Arcudi and Byrne versions.

And 'Negative Man' may be my favorite super hero name ever. I even cheaped out one Halloween and went out with a bandaged face a la Claude Raines, but I was definitely a Negative Man, tell you what.



7. The most recent panel: B.P.R.D.: the Universal Machine #4, story by Mike Mignola and John Arcudi, art by Guy Davis. The Mignola-verse Wendigo above creeps me out a lot more than the Marvel one.



8. Lastly, we've got Stan Lee and John Buscema, from "Now Strikes the Ghost!" Silver Surfer #8, reprinted in Fantasy Masterpieces #8. I liked that reprint series, because the Silver Surfer stories--the only ones at the time--were backed with Starlin's Adam Warlock. I don't remember though, if the issue was reprinted in full, or cut in half with the above panel. And of course, I have at least two separate reprints that are completely buried. The conclusion may have been reprinted and packed in with the Marvel Legends Silver Surfer figure.

More stuff tomorrow: I have to pick this mess up...

2 comments:

Fred said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fred said...

Anyone notice the Bill Sienkiewicz Loves to draw triangles? I saw him draw Cap's shield that way, in an X-men appearance once. gonna have to look it up and find it now. IMO he is the worst artist ever.