Wednesday, June 20, 2012

"Doom Oversight."



Duhr, I thought I had actually written something up for this after posting the photos and scheduling it. No.

The Chief there is an X-Men movie Professor X, with the DC Direct Starman head. This wasn't my idea--I'm 75% sure I got the idea from the Fwoosh, but Dale pointed out a better setup using a Walter Peck/Ghostbusters head. The latter would be a bit more expensive set-up, since Walter was a $20+figure, but the head probably wouldn't just sit on putty...

Depending on when you read Doom Patrol, the Chief is either a benevolent taskmaster, who organized the freaks of the Doom Patrol and gave them a mission and a reason to live; or a Machiavellian bastard, who may very well have manipulated several of the accidents that caused the Doom Patrol. His name may or may not be Niles Caulder, he is possibly immortal, he may or may not be married. Even the nicer versions of the character have shown him to be incredibly adept at emotional manipulation, as he can almost always guilt Cliff, Larry, and Rita into doing whatever he wants.

I admit I'm more used to the nicer versions of the Chief--which would probably be the original "My Greatest Adventure" era and Byrne's--rather than the more morally dubious takes of Grant Morrison or post-Infinite Crisis. In the most recent Doom Patrol series, he seemed a well-intentioned megalomaniac who went more and more off the rails over time.

I thought we had seen Niles in passing fairly recently, but I'd have to double-check. Still, we may be coming back to that, as I may finally have a figure I needed for the next "Doom Idol." We'll see...





4 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Once again you've made my day you beautiful bastard! Nice work on the skit, and the custom Chief. If you're feeling froggy, once you get that Alfred figure, you could swap bodies if you wanted to to upgrade the ol' breaded bastard.

Oh and I have to point this out, but what's up the doll furniture? If I knew you had a daughter that would explain it, but you don't that I, and you know of, so now it's just plain creepy. Ha, just kidding. Actually I wish I had your whole table and chair set-up myself, but then thankfully my figures aren't as lazy as I am, and are too busy to sit around.

Have a good one, and send me your address already ya' bum!

googum said...

Doll furniture? Nay, good sir! Most of these are from proper action figures! (Although I probably have some genuine doll stuff somewhere, like knockoff Barbie or whatever...)

The comfy chair is from a Spider-Man movie Norman Osborn, and it's been about a hundred strips. Probably should have it's own tag, then...The desk is from Space Ghost, which is still an awesome figure. Larry's on the J.Jonah Jameson office chair, also from the first Spider-Man movie. The chair's missing a wheel, but it and the desk have shown up a few times too. (Principal Logan!)

I don't know if this still works, but used to be you could get proper folding chairs from wrestling figures, even the cheapo dollar store ones. I don't think Mattel's WWE figures ever come with squat...

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Sometimes they do, depends on the figure. I guess since you have a more liberal view of buying figures than myself, you probably had the better luck finding accessories like tables and chairs. I might have to step up myself if I'm to improve on the settings for my skits. I still want to do a skit that has El Dorado asking someone if they want chips or salsa:)

SallyP said...

Kurt's chair! So nice to see the chair. And I'm completely with their view of Nile Caulder.