Friday, February 15, 2013

Furious happenstance, that.


I haven't had time to read it all yet, but I found Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 and #4 Wednesday. Oddly, I already had #2 and #3! So I'll probably see if I can sit down and finish it. This was the limited series right before Nick was killed off by the Punisher, and it was written by Howard Chaykin. I can't quite remember why he was having Fury quit smoking: might've been editorial fiat, or Chaykin may have been quitting himself at the time. If any of it jumps out at me, we'll check it out later!

Panels from Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1, "Hell Hath No Fury" Written by Howard Chaykin, pencils by Corky C. Lehmkuhl, inks by Mark McKenna.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Personally I think the whole Marvel mandate to stop showing their main heroes smoking is fucking stupid!

They honestly think that kids are influenced enough by Nick or Wolverine lighting up a good cigar to pick one up and start themselves? While there might be a tiny, tiny bit of that happening, on the whole, I don't see that happening.
I mean shit, have your kids seen Wolverine lighting up a cuban, and go "Yeah I want to be cool and do that too?"

Probably not. Because you taught them better than that. Just stupid.

Mr. Potato Head I can kinda, maybe in a twisted way see, but I grew up on Mr. Potato Head having a pipe and other than briefly putting it in my mouth, I never smoked or wanted to. I didn't touch a cigarette until I was 19.

Ugh.

And that concludes Mr. Morbid's rant;)