Wednesday, August 13, 2014

"Attack by Sanctuary II."



This strip was based on what I remembered from Avengers #260, "Attack on Sanctuary II,"...a comic I'm not positive I've ever read, but here goes: the Avengers face Nebula and her space pirates, on the good super-evil ship Sanctuary II. The Avengers may have the pirates on the ropes, before getting dragged off by the Beyonder for another Secret Wars II crossover. Still, the ship formerly belonged to Thanos, but he was good and dead for quite some time there--from 1977 to 1990! And Nebula is revealed to be Thanos's grand-daughter. Or at least, she claimed to be or possibly believed she was. The idea that Thanos, a death-worshiper, would have kids, let alone grandkids; was weirder to me than the idea that somewhere, something had sex with Thanos...

Marvel's database has Sanctuary II as destroyed in Thanos Imperative #4...but off the top of my head, I think that was the Sanctuary II from the Cancerverse belonging to the evil Captain Marvel from there? Or it may have been destroyed in the 2003 Thanos series that also re-introduced Star-Lord. Or that may have been another H-shaped ship. I don't know if it showed up in Infinity, I haven't read that one yet. I don't even remember if there was a Sanctuary I, for that matter; but it's an oddly esoteric name for a ship belonging to the Big Bad. It's tough to get a sense of scale in comics sometimes, but I imagined Sanctuary II was pretty damn big--so big, that there were probably still alien crewman deep in the lower decks that hadn't even got word Thanos had died the first time yet.

I was wishing I could re-find an issue of Silver Surfer where Thanos pulls an old ship out of mothballs, that had a name like Dreadnaught 666 or something--Yep! Although that does look a little more like what you would expect from Thanos; in my head I thought it was a little more like Captain Harlock's Arcadia or Warhammer 40K.

I'm getting senile, is the point of all this. That, or like many old people, things as way more awesome in my head than they actually were...

2 comments:

SallyP said...

Spectacular!

And I do hope that Kurt will be all right!

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Ha! I bet Kurt wishes he was on an X-Men mission or dead instead. Probably definitely the last one.