Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Which Tarot card symbolizes "abject poverty" again?


We mentioned the Tarot-reading Madame X a week or so back, without scanning any of her Tarot cards. So why not check out some Justice League of America Tarot cards? From 1981, Justice League of America #194, "Destiny is a Stacked Deck" Written by Gerry Conway, pencils by George Perez, inks by John Beatty.

Separately and together, several Leaguers are attacked by forces out of the Major Arcana of Tarot symbology, like the Hermit, the Magus, and the Fool. Zatanna knows what they represent right away, and although she's temporarily struck blind by the Devil, she's still able to track the Tarot's "Ectoplasmic trail" to long-time JLA bad guy Amos Fortune. (I'm sure he's appeared somewhere other than JLA, but I'm hard-pressed to tell you where...!)

Amos Fortune is by no means an A-list villain, and this isn't an A-list plot. It may in fact have been killing time waiting for next month's JLA/JSA event. But George Perez can still carry that one a long way.

Meanwhile, yesterday I had to take my dog to the vet, since he's been a bit listless and lost some weight. Then he fought me like Mike Tyson in his heyday to avoid giving blood. He wouldn't even give a urine sample freely, and that dog would pee constantly if he could. Generally, he's the worst dog-patient in the world, and I think I remember why every time I take him to the vet, I only take him once before I have to find another vet. Embarrassing. Anyway, he's got a ton of pills to look forward to, that should hopefully do him some good. If not, I'll have to take them--they cost me enough, somebody's eating those pills.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Like you said, maybe not the best story, but pretty fair plot, and yes, Perez fucking nails the hell out of this, proving just how much of a difference an exceptional artist can make to elevate a mundane story.

That's why he's the master.

Sorry to hear about Sam though.