Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Before Christmas or before Halloween? Flip a coin...


I personally don't, but I imagine some people get as sick of Halloween crap in the stores at the end of August as others do of Christmas stuff in October. Today's book could go either way! From 1987, Elvira's House of Mystery Special #1.

The first story is probably the best, even if it is a standard: "Elvira's Christmas Carol" Written by Joey Cavalieri, art by Frank Springer. An exhausted Elvira has nothing but snark for Christmas, so of course she gets the three spirits treatment; in this case portrayed by former House of Mystery hosts Cain, Abel, and Destiny. While she has a perfectly reasonable reason for disliking how "the holiday forces you to pay attention to it!" her Christmas future with a silent Destiny suggests maybe that's not the worst thing in the world.

"Oh, What Fun to Laugh and Sing a Slaying Song Tonight!" from Michael Fleisher and Jack Sparling is a fairly standard crook on the run dresses up as Santa number; then Barbara Randall and Stephen Destefano's "O Christmas Tree" is a cartoony, fun romp about the perfect tree...for murder. "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" from Ed Hannigan is a post-apocalyptic shaggy dog story; and a bit cheerless. I don't necessarily know that Elvira's stories were supposed to be more cheery than DC's usual horror fare, but I always expect more jokes.

Y'know, I think Netflix recently passed on some kind of Elvira show; and I gotta say I would've watched it. Hope she turns up somewhere!

1 comment:

H said...

I think she's got a comic from Dynamite going on. Haven't read it but I've heard good things.