Tuesday, October 08, 2019


Warren Publishing was probably entering its decline by the time I would've maybe started noticing them; but I don't really recall ever seeing them on the racks. The only one I maybe purchased new was Creepy #146, which was a single issue published by Harris when they took over. It was also surprisingly smutty! I couldn't say if prior issues were. I've only found a couple of their mags in latter years, so here's one: from 1970, Eerie #70, cover by Basil Gogos. Art by Frank Bolle, Pat Boyette, Jack Sparling, Tom Sutton, and more; stories by Ken Barr, Nicola Cuti, Don Glut, Douglas Moench, and more.

The opening story is the gothic "The Entail," in which a cruel baron lures a distant royal to his castle, with an offer he can't refuse. Which is refused, which doesn't go well for the royal. "Mirror, Mirror" introduces supernatural investigator October Weir, and his wife Vida, as they battle monsters from a mirror dimension. "Life Species" involves astronaut archeologists piecing together the dominant life form of a ruined world. As is often the case for these, they may not be doing the best of jobs.

"I, Werewolf!" seems like the usual, but builds to a twist that I'm trying not to scan here, it was kind of cool. "In Close Pursuit" is a moody journey into paranoia; then comes the cover story, the mummy yarn "The Return of Amen-Tut!" A bit of a groaner, that one, with the gabbiest mummy ever; but as I believe Evan Dorkin said, if you get killed by a mummy, it's your own darn fault. Finally, "The Creation" is a Frankenstein-type story, with what I'd consider a fairly traditional twist.

I'm doubling-down on horror comics this month, and feel like I'm going to probably be scrambling for posts in November, but whatever.

No comments: