Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Today, future superheroes vs. a Nazi earth--no, not ours!

I always remember the cover for this issue from a slightly sexist joke in an old Wizard, so I kind of felt obligated to grab it out of the quarter bin. From 1999, A-Next #11, "Crucible!" Story and words by Tom DeFalco, story and pencils by Ron Frenz, finishes by Al Milgrom.

It's the next generation of Avengers, featuring stalwarts like American Dream, Stinger, and for some reason, Juggernaut's illegitimate kid; versus a Nazi dimension's evil Avengers, the Thunder Guard. Stinger and Thunderstrike are a bit shaken, since evil versions of their dads are there: Pincer and Stormtrooper. While Cassie beats the tar out of her dad's double, Kevin had lost his father, and finds Stormtrooper had gone bad when he lost his son. They have a bit of a cry together, although I don't think it excuses anything he did...

Somehow, even though this is a Nazi earth, their version of Doctor Doom is in charge. Presumably, he didn't advertise his gypsy heritage. He also had Baron Zemo and Reed Richards as his underlings: I'm sure Doom would have no problem with a Richards that knew his place. And American Dream ends up with the shield of the fallen Captain America of Nazi-world, while the MC2 Captain America stayed behind to continue the fight. Thunderstrike also stays behind, to learn about his alt-dad.

Spider-Girl ran for a hundred and one issues, but I don't think any of the other MC2 lasted anywhere near as long: this was the second-to-last issue of this one. There are some panels that I'm pretty sure are homages to classic Avengers, but I can't quite nail them down.

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Ok, I'll bite; what was the joke?

googum said...

I think Cap accidentally refers to American Dream as "Starboobies," then has to request another take.

Sometimes, I don't miss Wizard, yeah.