Wednesday, April 06, 2022

"Grove (Final/Final)"

Ugh, the pink fill! It was absolutely killing me today. I hadda go back, overlay balloons over the ones I had done before, then fill those! I knocked those out while watching Hell is For Heroes, a middling war flick with Steve McQueen, James Coburn, and the debut of...Bob Newhart? The latter being what got me to watch it; he's a bit of comic relief but not in a completely silly way.

I think Kurt read comics, at least what he happened to come across as a kid, based on a couple lines from his first mini-series, where a dejected and lost Nightcrawler tries both "Kltpzxym" and "Relwarcthgin" to see if that would get him home. Of course we know Gwen read so many comics, but I don't think she was strictly a Marvel Zombie-type, was she? I reckon she read DC and other books, maybe even--gasp!--non-superhero, indie stuff! Some may disagree with me on that one; I don't know if the canon backs me up.

Oh, before I forget, again, Gwen is referencing the old Marvels Comics from--good god, 2000? And I just aged into dust...for anyone not older than dirt, that event was a peek at the in-universe comics of the Marvel universe. We've seen the Fantastic Four one here; it's super-fun and what would be considered 'accurate' since the FF are relatively open; while the Spider-Man book paints the wall-crawler as a monstrous menace. The X-Men book is from Mark Millar, and I think it's supposed to be horrible racist propaganda but I'm not sure it reads that much differently than Millar's usual work. Short answer, Gwen would definitely want better comics.  


5 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Well now you kinda have to have Superman show up to meet Kurt, even if it's a fever dream. Mr. Mxy too.

Very cool-looking comic shop man. Very impressive how you built all that yourself. Amazing detail, especially the individually-bagged comics.

I actually also remember those Marvel Comics from 2000. I bought & really enjoyed the Daredevil one, but stayed away from the rest for some reason. Should probably go back & check them out, even that godforsaken Mark Millar one.

H said...

Wait, is Gwen considered a mutant or something? Isn't the whole point of Krakoa that it's a 'No Normals Allowed, So There' island? Not a big deal but, there was just that whole big thing about Sat being too human to visit. It's a funny bit anyway and I'm not one to turn down more Gwenpool where I can get it.

googum said...

No, Gwenpool is considered a mutant! I want to say she was last seen on Krakoa right before some other people got grabbed for FortNite; but she might have written herself in as a mutant at the end of her last mini-series. She knows the score, though; she could just as easily change her status later if needed.

CalvinPitt said...

Yeah, Gwen's a mutant, per her last mini-series (Gwenpool Strikes Back). Although it was really Kamala Khan that caused it. She suggested to Gwen she was actually a mutant with reality warping powers, but when they manifested something so traumatic happened it caused Gwen's mind to make up the whole thing about being from a world where all the Marvel characters are fictional. And the universe seemed to accept this retcon and now she's a mutant.

I guess it's better than just killing her off, although I can't recall anyone doing anything with her since. Running a comic book store on Krakoa is a pretty safe role to give her.

H said...

I've definitely got to get caught up. Good to know though- I guess when you're that genre savvy, you can always find a way to stay relevant. Probably even makes sense, since DNA probably works a little differently in the MU than it does here.