Tuesday, November 28, 2023

I bought these from the same comic shop, about the same time...

...and that's about all this series has in common with yesterday's books, except I might find it even more nihilistic. From 2009, The Last Days of American Crime #1-3, written by Rick Remender, art by Greg Tocchini. Covers by Alex Maleev.
I didn't love this series, but that's kind of on me and my expectations: it's a perfectly fine, well-executed, one-last-heist story. I just didn't like the ticking-clock aspect of it: in two weeks, the American government would start its "A.P.I. broadcast," which would hit certain centers of the brain, and making knowingly committing an illegal act impossible, from sea to shining sea. The Feds were also converting to paperless currency, phasing out cash, to further hinder criminal activity; so the crooks have to act now or never. Kinda felt like stopping the broadcast should be the plot; but this isn't that kind of book and these characters aren't heroes, so...Also, the bad-girl lead shares a name with my former hometown, so I found her suspicious as hell; which might also be on me. 
This also won't cram into the scanner, but did get a reissue from Image a couple years back.

3 comments:

Mr. Morbid said...

Considering like countries like Australia are already slowly phasing out cash for cards. And I see that push not stopping there. I don’t get it myself as you’ll need physical cash whenever computer systems crash.

googum said...

It's a scam, because everything is a scam. (That's not entirely true, but...)

If you have cash, you buy something, maybe get some change, and you do whatever with that: save it, give it to somebody, throw it in a lake, whatever. If your money's on a card, though, that unused change is still on the card: maybe you get to it later, maybe it's left on the table for somebody else to snag.

The news will probably have a few pieces this time of year about the absolutely stupid amount of money Americans currently have on gift cards, that may or may not ever get spent by a recipient. I know I'm not feeling the holidays this year, but I was going to be giving a lot of cash...

Mr. Morbid said...

It’s just beyond silly & irresponsible to put your eggs in one basket like that & force entire populations to go with such an obvious fallible & manipulatable system.