Friday, December 22, 2023

Ah, what could be more festive than...whatever is happening here.

OK, this might not be a Christmas issue, but it's sort-of thematically appropriate? From 2006, Solo #12, featuring stories and art by Brendan McCarthy.
I knew McCarthy from Paradax! and some Dredd work, but I thought he had more comic credits? (Yeah, try Rogan Gosh or Zaucer of Zilk.) But he doesn't really need them, since he co-wrote and designed Mad Max: Fury Road!
This was the last issue of Solo, which wraps with "Thanks for Coming!" Which fits for here, since Christmas will be re-runs and Tuesday starts "The End" week, as we once again flip through a pile of last issues. Have a good long weekend and see you then!

2 comments:

H said...

He’s done quite a bit, though it is (like I think you implied) more alternative and alternative style usually. Besides a bunch of 2000 AD stuff (I recommend Sooner or Later or one of the Future Shocks he drew), he often works with Peter Milligan. He was also on the most recent (as far as I know) volume of Doctor Fate, and I really enjoyed that series.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I really need to seek out his work more because I'm definitely digging his whole acid trip/hallucinogenic trippy art vibe thing.
Definitely deserves to be more mainstream known.

Did NOT know he co-wrote & designed Fury Road but not I can't unsee it.