Wednesday, June 10, 2026

"Punch."

You very certainly could do a story where Pavitr Prabhakar takes down Hyperion, but it would have to be in a situation with more stakes for him. Like if whoever he had for an Aunt May or a Gwen Stacy was endangered. Doing it for Spider-Man 2099, or for pride...not quite. 

Also, I'm writing these like Grandmaster cares about seeing the fights: does he? Do the hardest of hardcore gamblers enjoy the actual event at all, or just the result? 

5 comments:

Mr. Morbid said...

Poor bastard never stood a chance. At least he tried right? Right?

H said...

Only in horseshoes.

Spider-Punk may have had a chance actually, come to think of it. Sound-based attacks would probably work well against hyper-senses and he’s just cagey enough to stay away from punches.

I think Grandmaster at least wants to verify the results- high rollers like to check every replay or study their opponents to get an angle. I am curious who the nanny is though- maybe Ego in wig a la Mrs. Doubtfire. I mean, why would Elders need dedicated childcare?

googum said...

We're not going to get into it now, but I think many of the Elders have small ecosystems of assistants, lackeys, and such. Even the Champion had a bunch of trainers, hype-men, and such in his first appearance; he probably has some appropriately thuggy bodyguards as well. In the movies, the Collector seemed like he had one little henchgirl/slave, that probably has to do everything around there; he probably handed that kid off to the first employee he saw. Hopefully not the cook...

Mr. Morbid said...

Ok now THAT would be hilarious if he did do the Mrs. Doubtfire thing

H said...

Ah, one of those ‘the help will take care of it’ things- that makes sense. My only other thought was that he’d collected the Nanny from … I’m not sure where but I know her from Walt Simonson’s Avengers run.