Wednesday, October 07, 2026

"Daughter."

"Do you like my sword?" "I do not." I'm positive I stole that cadence from Dr. Seuss's P.D. Eastman's Go, Dog. Go! It's a fun read! 

The OAFE review of Mephisto points out two things I probably should've caught: Mephisto's sword is a version of Excalibur, and that's a reference to Earth X continuity! If I recall, alternate realities are revealed as literally the devil's work, like he was causing them, possibly in the hopes of finding the one where he wins in the end. I'm not sure of the status of the 616's native Excalibur--the sword, anyway. Mephisto may have more jabs about Excalibur, the team... 

The Krakoan soul dilemma, well, that's pretty much fallen by the wayside; not unlike Kurt's soulless status there for a while. (Could he get back into heaven? Unclear, but he doesn't seem to be dwelling upon the issue in-continuity.) I may have mentioned this one before, but don't have it handy: Namor #12, wherein Namorita is a little freaked out since under Atlantean theology, a clone like her wouldn't have a soul. Captain America very gently explains to her, he'd seen a lot of people lose their souls (every Nazi scumbag ever) but he'd also seen a brother gain a soul: the android Human Torch, who earned one through empathy and good works. I still consider that one a lot, and I suppose it follows that I'm willing to concede a lot of goodwill to any AI that literally kills Hitler.

Also, hey, Mephisto has a daughter! Maybe, from Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme #6. Mephista was using the name "Jezebel" now, and yeah, don't blame her.

No comments: