Monday, May 17, 2010

Busy weekend, so you get Captain America vs. Count Plaqula:

Nostalgic for Hostess Ads? This'll put the end to that.
Admittedly, my current toothpaste doesn't make me feel like a superstar...

I think that might even be Kieron Dwyer art, from the back cover of Transformers #58. Anyway, I was busy all weekend, and it was really nice out, so I'm behind here. I did get to the Comic Book Shop and got some of the new books like Warlord and the new Hellboy and B.P.R.D., but also got a good stack of old Marvel Transformers issues.

You can see Ironhide and Ratchet based off the toys, not the animation model...
I read Transformers as it came out, back in 1984, for the first year or so: the art was never great, there were a lot of inconsistencies from the cartoon's continuity, and not unlike G.I. Joe, it seemed to introduce a couple dozen new characters/toys every issue. G.I. Joe was usually a better read since Larry Hama had a bit more of a storytelling vision, and more of a framework to build on. (Hama could build off of real-world technology and events, even if just as a starting point.) I still like those issues, even when they have to backtrack to cover stuff they messed up the first time.


I also got a Transformers Digest, and I still miss the hell out of these cheaply printed little things.

Scans from Transformers #2, "Power Play!" Plot by Bill Mantlo, script by Jim Salicrup, pencils by Frank Springer, inks by Kim DeMulder. And the Transformers Digest #9 cover from Transformers #17, possibly from Don Perlin.


2 comments:

chiasaur11 said...

Technically, the cartoon disagreed with the comic, rather than the other way 'round.

Comic first, and all that. Also, the comic had Death's Head.

Anonymous said...

This will astonish you!

ZEITGEIST: ADDENDUM

Money as debt


HydrogenCar

project camelot magnetic motor


AMAZING!!

OZONATED WATER: CURE ANYTHING!

http://www.stoptherobbery.com/

Monatomic Gold


Dangerous

EXITOTOXINS

Monosodium glutamate (MSG)
Aluninum
Aspartame
Mercury


IMPORTANT

Flouride in water