Friday, October 05, 2018

Hopefully not spoiling your next trip to Wal-Mart.


In 2012 we looked at Stephanie Brown's last issue as Batgirl, yet as Spoiler we've only seen her once on the blog, in Secret Origins 80-Page Giant #1. And yet today we have her new figure!

Mattel's distribution or sales plan or whatever continues to be somewhat inexplicable and baffling to me: I swear there were just about no DC Multiverse figures released this year until we got Two-Face last month. (I know the Clayface series may have shown in other areas...maybe.) This week, Spoiler and Harley Quinn showed up at Walmart; where they may be exclusive? And they're part of a variant for the Collect & Connect Lex Luthor? It's Lex in the armor with the Superman-logo that he wore as part of the Justice League, and Spoiler came with a Lex-Darkseid head while Harley comes with a Mother Box. (Harley gets more accessories, but I didn't grab her yet: I don't love her modern look.) And the rest of that Luthor's parts are coming out until later, I guess. Meanwhile, not unlike Walgreen's Fantastic Four Thing, there were several Spoilers and Harley's at this Wal-Mart...as well as another case of Justice League figures, for some reason. What are you doing, Mattel...?

They call Spoiler "the Violet Vindicator" on the package, which I hope is never ever used in the comics. She's a nice figure: good articulation, paint was good on mine, I like that she has flat boots! She only gets one accessory for herself, a three-part staff. Still, not unlike last week's FF, this figure makes me wonder if I have a decent Tim Drake Robin! I don't know if any writer played with this, but Tim was a planner, more tactical than the other Robins; while Steph works best as Spoiler, someone who wrecks plans. It would be tempting to really lean into making that her thing, almost a monomania like her dad Cluemaster had for leaving clues. Hmm, I know a local Walgreens has a couple of the basic Robin figures, and I thought those might make a decent Tim, maybe.


I really doubt I'm going to finish Lex, but I wonder if this head would fit on the New 52 Darkseid. And I haven't made any headway on Clayface, and I won't until a Jessica Cruz turns up.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

"Violet Vindicator"?

Sriously?

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I actually finally got to see three of the newer DC Multiverse waves, namely Rebirth Superman, Two-Face Jessica Cruz, and Martian Manhunter from Supergirl.

For some odd AF reason they put in the clearance toy aisle in front of the Makeup department.

Not sure on the price. I wanna' say $15?