Thursday, July 04, 2019

I think of the line, "I think I'll go with the percentages!" all the time.


Everyone loves "Silent Interlude," and I acknowledge that one's a classic; but I liked this one better: from 1985, G.I. Joe #34, "Shake Down!" Written by Larry Hama, pencils by Rod Whigham, inks by Andy Mushynsky. I would've read it in 1988's G.I. Joe Comics Magazine #12, a digest-sized reprint.

I wasn't a Joe collector back then, but the Skystriker and Rattler both seem like damn fine toys. This issue Hama puts them both to the test--or their 'real world' counterparts, I suppose--as Ace and Lady Jaye take a Skystriker up for testing as Wild Weasel and the Baroness are taking up a "fully-loaded GT!" Rattler. Both pilots are having a bit of fun showing off their bird's features, until Weasel spies Ace, and the dogfight is on.

Ace and Weasel pull out every trick in their respective books, eventually fighting to a draw once all their ammo was spent. Lady Jaye and the Baroness are not thrilled with that outcome, but it's a great finish. Also this issue: a Statement of Ownership, Management, and Circulation: Paid circulation, actual number of copies of single issue published nearest to filing date; 227,414.

No comments: