Monday, July 27, 2020


Up until the other day, I think I had more Silver Sable action figures than I had Silver Sable comics, but this ties up that score! From 1994, Silver Sable and the Wild Pack #31, "Overload!" Written by Gregory Wright, pencils by Gordon Purcell, inks by Pam Eklund.

Silver is in a bind this month, as she was feeling a surprising amount of guilt for murdering the man that killed her mother, and on top of that she was pregnant, courtesy her ex-husband Basil. Basil? You might know him by his alias, the Foreigner. Although, I'm pretty convinced their relationship was a bit of continuity backfill based on what was probably intended as a joke in Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #118: Peter David had talked up how slick the Foreigner was this issue and in #116 with Sabretooth. In #118, the Foreigner arrives in disguise for a luncheon meeting with the Kingpin, who is largely annoyed by him but obviously can't do anything about it. Kingpin hears an explosion across town, that he hadn't scheduled, and Foreigner explains that was "orchids," for his ex-wife. I think that was just a bit of snark, not intended to connect these two. (I've had those issues since they came out, but unfortunately not handy!)

Having apparently only slept with him again to save one of her Wild Pack, Silver had been careful, but is more than distraught at the thought of Foreigner being the dad. The Sandman, who had been crushing on her pretty hard for most of this series, probably would feel the same way, since he discovers the pregnancy when a co-worker hacks into Silver's files to find out why he hadn't been contacted recently. Still, Silver's recently returned father reminds her, she did have to honor her word and complete one final job for the Foreigner, who had invested heavily in a luxury train in Japan. Unfortunately, some were upset at foreign capitalists moving in; as well as outright gangsters looking for a score: Hammerhead! Hesitant to kill after her recent murder, Sable is reluctant to shoot Hammerhead in cold blood, and ends up captured to save hostages. (Plus, I don't know if shooting Hammerhead even in the face would be likely to kill him. Maybe in the eye...)

Silver Sable would end with #35, which I don't have yet! But that was a fairly decent run for the time; and she seemed to avoid some of the lower-end art that plagued other mid-to-lower tier Marvel books then as well. I've always liked Purcell's art, Steven Butler did a number of issues, and I just found out Tom Grindberg had a couple too.

7 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Well now. Definitely news to me (old news, but still news to me) To the google machine...

...ok I'm back.

*SPOILERS*

She wasn't. Apparently it was a computer error.

I still didn't know she was married to the Foreigner though.
Is he still alive?

To the google machine...

Maybe? He was supposedly killed off in an issue of Captain America, but it was never really confirmed.

googum said...

It might've made sense if Foreigner had been behind the false positive as well: earlier in the series, he made it look like Silver's current boyfriend leaked (fake) nudes that were published in a Playboy-type mag.

H said...

Pretty sure I've said this before but it bears repeating- one of the best and most underappreciated Marvel series of the 90's. Good writing, good art, good characterization, good use of guest stars. Definitely deserves a reprint outside of the crossover issues. Don't have this issue though- most of my holes are from later in the run. Looks as solid as ever though.

Pikasnivy said...

Hello Mr. Googum! My name is Oliver and I'm enjoying what I've read of your blog so far. I see that you're an avid Nightcrawler fan. I actually am as well! I own what I believe to be the largest Nightcrawler collection in the world. But I hear you also have a Nightcrawler display! I would love to see it and talk about collecting with you. You can reply here or we can PM somewhere else, just let me know. (Btw, I'm not a scam bot, I'm an actual person lmao) here's my twitter if you wanna talk: @pikasnivy

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Wait, "leaked nudes"? But this was pre-Snapchat, Selfies and dick pics. Either someone spied on her and got nudes that way a la the tabloids, or she posed for a private naked photo op while drunk or for her husband at the time. Interesting.

H said...

It was pre-deepfakes too, so whoever faked those nudes had pretty good technology.

googum said...

Foreigner was shifty as hell; I wouldn't put it past him to hire a lookalike girl for the nudes. Silver wasn't that public of a figure--so to speak--and few would be looking closely at her face, anyway.