Thursday, October 12, 2023

I'll be tired if I wanna be, comic.

I don't know that anyone would even notice, but it bothers me that I honestly don't read as many comics as I used to. Part of that is just time spent dicking around online, but honestly a big part of it is my vision. I don't need my glasses to work, use my desktop, bike, or drive; but I do need them to read comics comfortably. Kind of hate it; I know it's caused me to read less. Worse, I don't have prescription 3-D glasses, so this issue was doubly a pain in the ass: from 1984, Three Dimensional! Alien Worlds #1, stories written by Bruce Jones, 3-D process by Ray Zone. Cover by Joe Chiodo.
My copy didn't come with the glasses, but luckily, I had my MST3K Kingavision glasses handy, and by wearing those over my regular specs I was able to read most of this, although a couple spots the lettering seemed a bit light? But, if I hadn't tried it, I would've missed some good art! Starting with Jim Sullivan and Dave Stevens on "Fair Play," as a young newlywed is sick and tired of "roughing it" on an untamed jungle planet. She opts to give her hubby a second chance, but there's been some changes...Very Frazetta looking art there. 
John Bolton draws "Field Drill," in which a future drill instructor has had about enough, but a field exercise that goes bad might change his mind. Next is "Gifts," with art by Bill Wray: an alien couple want to finish their mission so they can get on with their honeymoon. Said mission being, to wipe out the dinosaurs, and give the mammals a shot at the planet.
Then, a surprise: "Away Off There Amid the Softly Winking Lights," with art by Arthur Adams! A cranky researcher feels like he's wasting his life building training environments instead of going into space, and that's before he gets his cancer diagnosis. That silent panel there is more character work than Adams is known for; it's short but nice work. 
Finally, there's "Spaceman, Go Home!" Art by Rand Holmes. A space pilot has a crash landing and then amnesia, but has a lucky break when he finds a mysterious device that seems able to make anything he wants. Mostly huge-breasted babes. Is it too good to be true? Of course, but it's not the only thing not true there. 

 Even the ads were 3-D in this one! Hope you've got your glasses--3-D or otherwise--handy.

5 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Wait, even the ads were in 3D? Ok, now that's true commitment to the gimmick.
I guess it really would've looked out of place if it didn't tho.

What did the alien couple leave behind for humans to know they helped the human race?

googum said...

They left the common cold, when they took their helmets off for a kiss!

H said...

I thought for a second that this was a Blackthorne Publishing book, considering that was one of their things. I’ve actually been collecting them lately (Blackthorne comics, though a couple were 3-D as well) so that would have been a coincidence. Still an interesting concept.

I remember Disney Adventures did an annual all 3-D issue their first five years or so. Actually did more than just the pop-out gags with it too.

Nice to know you supported the Gizmoplex- have you brought it up before? The MST3K stuff doesn’t seem to show up much.

googum said...

Oh, my, yes: I've been an MST3K fan since the Comedy Central days! (Way back in the day, the local cable didn't have Comedy Central all-day, it was split with VH1, so I missed the Easter Gamera marathon! I don't think I saw all of those until fairly recently; I'm still mad!) I watch a lot of PlutoTV==it's on while I work, shh!--and go through stretches where I watch tons of it. And my name's in the backers for the Time Travellers and...shudder...Munchie.

And as is often the case, I know I've got other 3-D stuff here and there--the Batman one, which I want to say was half John Byrne stuff? The Rocketeer book; I think was Neal Adams' studio? Maybe a couple other oddballs like this one or a Disney number.

Mr. Morbid said...

Oh trust me, you won’t find a bigger MST3000 & Riff-Trax fan than Goo.