Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Gift Horse, Biting me in the Ass.
He might be from Hell, but even the Demon doesn't want Cthulhu tearing up the place.
The Comic Book Shop had a box of discounted "Prestige Format" books, some of which I hadn't paid full price for the first time around, or pulled out of sale boxes years later. So, if you need a copy of Wolverine: Inner Fury, the Bill Sienkiewicz Moby Dick Wolvie mashup, I can probably get you one, although you really should have that already. The first one that grabbed me today was Batman: The Doom that Came to Gotham, with a Mike Mignola cover.

Somehow, I missed that one completely when it came out, when it came out I was probably trying to avoid the more expensive formatting. Until OAFE.net mentioned it in a review of the Gotham by Gaslight Batman figure, I'm not sure I knew about this H.P. Lovecraft-inspired story. I was excited, since I liked the sequel Master of the Future too; and I figured this would be in the same vein.

After I finished my borscht (?) and started on the comic, I was happy to see the Demon appear; weird, since it just came up yesterday. Unfortunately, since this one had versions of of Ollie Queen, Kirk Langstrom, and Robins Dick, Jason, and Tim; and even creepier than usual visits from Mr. Freeze, Penquin, and Talia; about halfway through I started to wonder how they were going to wrap all this up...so I finally looked at the barcode and saw the "Part One of Three."

Luckily, the Wife wanted a coffee, so I packed up the kids, and went back to the Shop; but no dice. Fie. Well, it'll probably turn up eventually. In the meantime, I was thinking about getting my GBG-Batman, and Lobster Johnson, and having them fight calamari or something. Tomorrow: more random Demon appearances--at least three, possibly more if they jump out like this one did.

Panel from Batman: The Doom that Came to Gotham #1, plot by Mike Mignola and Richard Pace, script by Mike Mignola, pencils by Troy Nixey, inks by Dennis Janke, colors and separations by Dave Stewart.

1 comment:

Tucker Stone said...

Doom finishes fine, i suppose. The Demon appearances are pretty off the charts.