Wednesday, October 03, 2007

(Mostly) Off-Topic: And we're back...mostly.
As they say, give him one gun and he's Superman, but give him two...
So, yesterday in Disneyland, I was wandering through Toontown with the family, and the sky was so blue it looked completely fake but made the sets look completely real. And now we're back home, where it's gray and rainy and about 30 degrees colder.

Even more than that, the Youngest will shortly be starting toilet training and a gluten/casein-free diet. Which means, aside from hopefully treating his autism, he's no longer going to be able to have milk, bread, yogurt, ketchup, mustard, baking soda...the list goes on and on, but if that's what it takes to help him, then that's how it's gonna have to be, I'm afraid. Getting off milk, though, is going to be extra-hard, since sometimes it's the only thing he wants, but the theory is, in his system it's like an opiate. I'll let you know how it goes, but I might be a little busy for a while. Yeah, I say that, and have said that before, yet remain surprisingly anal about posting. We'll see how it goes.

Like a lot of DC projects, I bought this more on the strength of the B-list.
On the plane ride, when I wasn't trying to keep the Youngest from kicking the back of the chair in front of him (he was great on the way in and a bear on the way back!) or changing diapers on the fly, I read Trail of Time by Jeff Mariotte. I picked it up more for the Demon and Jonah Hex than Superman, and was pleasantly surprised to see Bat Lash, Scalphunter and El Diablo in there as well. A heads-up to Dwayne at Matching Dragoons: I believe Jonah adds (at least) four kills to his bodycount in this one.

Since Mariotte had previously written Desperadoes, the western bits in this one are unsurprisingly good, the best parts of the book. Bat Lash has a couple of good moments too, and I'm looking forward to his new comic. Bat Lash seems like a character that would make a good low-to-mid budget movie, if you could wrangle the rights to it and make a western that didn't seem like a western. As far as leads go, Ben Browder (of Farscape and Stargate: SG-1 fame, if you're a fan) voiced a great Bat Lash in the Justice League Unlimited episode "The Once and Future Thing," which also featured Hex and El Diablo as a western proto-League. I don't know if JLU was the first to hit upon that idea, since I seem to recall it from an old Justice League of America issue or two, but I'm not sure. Heck, I'm tired and rambling, and maybe we'll come back to it when the first issue comes out.

By the way, the Youngest wouldn't hold his gun, and I swear I had a higher score than that; although the kid ahead of me had my score beat by a cool million. And change. Like 300,000 in change.

No comments: