Friday, March 30, 2018

So, I was watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 on Pluto TV the other day, and The Sword and the Dragon was on. In one of the host segments, you can see some of the Mads' comic collection; including in the bottom left corner, Superman: the Man of Steel #30!

There was a plain cover version, but this issue is best known for being packed with Colorform-style vinyl clings that you could put on the cover, or on glass: I've lost a number of them from my copy here, left on mirrors or windows when I moved! I just bought two still-bagged copies when I was on vacation, but was able to dig up my old one. "Resurrection!" Written by Louise Simonson, pencils by Jon Bogdanove, inks by Dennis Janke.

Lobo is on his way to earth, to kill the recently returned Superman, since he felt he should be the only one coming back from the dead. On his way, Lobo inadvertently (and/or carelessly) destroys an alien space mausoleum, and the cheesed off aliens follow him to try and kill him; but instead give Superman and Lobo something to team up against! Meanwhile, Superman discovers he's now even stronger; surviving an alien disintegration blast, punching Lobo into orbit, and no longer needing to breathe! (The latter was part of John Byrne's depowering of Superman in the relaunch; although I wonder if it was the last power to return.)

After driving off the aliens, Lobo feels like Supes did him a favor, so agrees to leave Metropolis alone and wait for a rematch. Which, a helpful editorial box notes, was coming in two weeks to L.E.G.I.O.N. '94 #63. That book wouldn't have anywhere near the print run this one did; so it might be some time before I bump into it.

1 comment:

SallyP said...

Gosh, I do love Mystery Science Theater. Tom Servo is my favorite.

But hey, mullet Superman! That takes me back.