Monday, August 26, 2019


Although lately I'm more likely just to buy the whole wave at once if I want the Build-a-Figure, sometimes I have the bright idea of holding out for sales or clearance. The trick then is to get any figures that might sell out before that point, which is why I sprung for Mr. Sinister now. (Using some points and whatnot, he was under nine bucks!) He does look pretty happy with his evil, I have to admit. I don't have all the Wendigo parts yet, but I really figure a couple will be dirt cheap down the line. (COUGH! Cannonball! COUGH!)

I bought Silver Samurai a couple weeks ago, but hadn't opened him until today. I thought he would be the tough one to find, but I hadn't seen Storm until now; and I didn't think I could count on seeing her later. I paid full price for Dazzler earlier and I also suspect she'll be discounted later; probably the Iceman as well.

Other recent purchases: DC Multiverse figures! Remember them? Depending on your area, you may or may not see these on the pegs; and Amazon thinks they'll be out mid-October. So far in this Batman/Killer Croc series, I've picked up KGBeast, Red Robin, Red Hood, and Alfred.

Alfred is the money figure: he comes with a drink and a tray--and four heads! Starting with a comic-based likeness. He also has a better neck joint than most Mattel DC figures, and can look up! (That joint is ugly as homemade sin from some angles, though.)

There's a Michael Gough likeness; he played Alfred in the movies from 1989 to 1997. Perfect for letting just about anyone into the Batcave! Interestingly, Gough was actually close friends with his predecessor:

Batman '66 Alfred, Alan Napier! I had thought the fourth head was the ancient Alfred from the Dark Knight Returns, but Dale corrected me, it's Alfred as the Outsider! Or Riff Raff from Rocky Horror Picture Show. (I didn't even like that movie, but that's what it reminded me of!) Mattel has a Michael Caine Alfred head; and I wonder if they lost the likeness rights or if the neck peg didn't match these others. We've seen the Diamond Select Gotham Alfred as well. I wonder if that Pennyworth will get a figure eventually.

Ah, I did find Batman and Katana before posting this! Katana is...pretty blah, honestly. The Batman is Dick Grayson, and comes with an unmasked head and loose cowl accessory. I don't know if I love the unmasked, but it's not bad.

Killer Croc may be a bit oversized, depending on your tastes; but he doesn't look like a scary villain, he looks like a cheerful yokel that maybe lives three manholes down from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Maybe we'll see him more later.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Huh. I'm liking that Alfred now that I get to see him. It was pretty smart on Mattel's end to pack that Alfred figure w/ 4 alt heads. I mean sure he's a very important part of the Batman mythos, but he doesn't scream "BUY ME" on the shelves to the younger collectors out there.

You're not wrong with that assessment about that C&C Croc figure; that's not a scary face at all. He really does look like the type of guy Master Splinter would borrow a cup of sugar from.
Definitely disappointed in those BatDick and Red Hood figures. They look cheap and horrible.

Probably not going to build that Wendigo BAF. I only really want Guardian, Boom Boom, and I guess Cannonball after buying Kurt.

Funny captions as usual though.