Monday, January 13, 2020


It's fun when I get a book I wasn't really aware of, less fun when it makes me want an action figure that still isn't coming! From 1983, Americomics #3, featuring "Return from Pago Island!" Story and art by Rik Levins, inks by Bill Black; "To Live Again!" Plot and art by Leo J. Laney, script by Neal Stannard, inks by Bill Black; and "The Night Has a Thousand Screams" Script, layouts and letters by Bill Black, pencils by Rik Levins, inks by Willie Blyberg.

I'm not sure I had ever read an AC Comics title before, although I know they've had a long run with FemForce. They were licensing the Charlton superhero characters--or, at least Blue Beetle here--prior to DC buying them up just before Crisis on Infinite Earths. In the lead story, the Ted Kord Beetle feels like "a fill-in...a pale imitation!" when his predecessor and friend Dan Garrett returns, accusing Ted of leaving him to die on Pago Island. But just about everything in that last sentence is wrong!

In the second feature, Dan Garrett returns again, resurrected in kind of a Kirby/New Gods pastiche, and put to work at an intelligence agency. The gods pulling the strings take care of everything, although one does have to scramble on the paperwork for Dan's agency file. Dan's first mission: rescue Blue Beetle Ted Kord!

Finally there's a Shade story, a Spectre-like ghostly avenger, and seemingly an overworked one as he can't deal with all the crime and suffering in the city. Well, it was the 80's. Meanwhile, I'm probably part of a shrinking list of fans that would still like a Dan Garrett action figure--I think it's public domain, go nuts! Just be sure to mail me one.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I wonder why Super 7 or Toy Biz doesn't make public domain figures. On the plus side, the legal aspect of it all should be a fucking breeze.