Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Ah, got my Mojo rising after all!

I was really sweating this last Friday, when the tracking said the last piece for Mojo would be delivered before six or nine or whatever, and the package was in Ohio. (My location isn't exactly secret, but spoiler alert: it ain't Ohio!) Of course, it would turn up Monday, and at long last we've got a Mojo! Counting from the first piece, it took me 17 years, 6 months, and 29 days to complete him. Previously, it took me seven and a half years to finish Giant-Man, and four years and change for Red Hulk. Man, I'm hoping I don't have those Totally Awesome Hulk parts in the drawer for anywhere near that long. 

I swear I saw TWO complete Mojo's for sale at the toy show last Saturday. Mr. Morbid asked me how I did there, and I almost sent him this:
...which feels like me wearing the action-figure equivalent of a dunce cap.
Does THIS answer your question?
That aside, it was actually a pretty good show! And like I do every toy show, I ended up buying way more comics than toys. I just do, OK? I did get Avalanche cheap, but you should get him cheap: until you've got a solid Brotherhood of Evil Mutants going, you need him for what? Nothing! Then we got Spat and Grovel...do I know which is which? The girl's Spat, right? Huh, and Grovel can talk? I wouldn't have bet on that. Both of their Marvel Wiki entries point out their creators, Scott Lobdell and Joe Madureira, seemingly went out of their way to make them as unmarketable as action figures as goddamn possible; which Toy Biz seemed to take as a challenge. A challenge they would fail; their figures were clogging up KB Toys for years: ironically, they were part of a three figure series called "Marvel's Most Wanted," with X-Man and Blink, who actually sold. Spat and Grovel haven't appeared in comics in well over 20 years, but some action figure fans will remember them like an old acquaintance they used to see all the time. (Weird, I think we've brought up KB pegwarmers twice in the last week; yet they did far, far less damage than Bain Capital...) Anyway, the guy selling them had originally intended to use Grovel in a Jabba's palace display; and I bought them because maybe they'll go with Ka-Zar and Zabu here in a bit. (I'm probably gonna have to order a case there rather than chance it; the Cable figure already seems like it's going to be a pain in the ass to find, and Zabu missing a leg would break my tender heart...)


1 comment:

Mr. Morbid said...

Wow, yeah Grovel & Spit are kinda deep cuts from that beautiful but too brief Joe Mad era on Uncanny.
They will totally pair well with your Kazar & Zabu, and if you’re bold enough, maybe Kommandi gets a girlfriend out of Spit?