Friday, June 07, 2019


It was once again, "blog a random comic within arm's reach" time, but we got one that relates back to an old post! From 2018, Phoenix Resurrection #4, "Chapter Four: That a Great Princess Falls, but Doth Not Die" Written by Matthew Rosenberg, art by Ramon Rosanas, color art by Rachelle Rosenberg.

We're more than coming into this one midstream, and there is some fairly cool nightmare imagery in Jean's dream world sequences; but I noticed a throwaway line from Old Man Logan as the X-Men fight dead X-Men. (More accurately, Phoenix-generated copies of dead X-Men. Whatever.) "I've wanted to stab a Madrox since the first day I met him." That struck me as a bit much, but Rosenberg was one of the writers on Uncanny X-Men #9, which also featured some Madrox-bashing. But as CalvinPitt pointed out, Rosenberg also wrote the most recent Multiple Man series! (Which as I write this, the covers weren't on the GCD? The hell? If I wrote a comic, I'd have that uploaded so fast...)

Colossus and X-23 also take out some Maddoxes, but Colossus at least acknowledges they aren't really him. I don't think Rosenberg dislikes Madrox; but he seems to think the X-Men do. Weird. Elsewhere this issue, young Cyclops and Old Man Logan argue which of them should go into the Phoenix-guarded diner to confront Jean, which feels like a virgin and a long-time stalker fighting over who gets to mansplain to her first. That's not really fair, I may still be pissed about the Madrox crack.

No comments: