Monday, February 24, 2020

You shouldn't wear white after Labor Day, but when should you start again?


It's white suits all the way around today, as we glance at some more Fortnite figures: from McFarlane Toys, Fortnite Wild Card Black; from Jazwares, Fortnite Legendary Wild Card; and...

From Mezco, One: 12 Collective Moon Knight. As always, the Amazon links are for reference only: if you're interested in the figures, please buy them somewhere someone cool gets a kickback.

The two McFarlane Wild Cards I'm not sure I had seen before finding at Ross, which was like getting two for one. The Jazwares figures have been easier to find; Heart there was from a Fred Meyer with a double-coupon bringing him down to under five bucks. Moon Knight is running about $80--for now. Some of the One: 12 offerings might hang out for a while, others disappear quickly and more than double in price. The earlier crescent edition MK is already creeping up; so if you have any interest it had best be sooner rather than later. (I used points to get mine about half-off, so roughly the price of two new Marvel Legends.)

The McFarlane Wild Cards came with two heads, Club or Spade. Heart and Diamond are in another box, with alternate accessories: Club/Spade have the suction-cup grappling-hook gun and a blue llama backpack that probably means something if you play the game. Heart/Diamond have the crowbar and briefcase, and both have a plain black base. Jazwares comes with alternate faceplates for each suit, along with the briefcase (and dangling handcuffs), crowbar, and a gun that resembles a Desert Eagle. I didn't take a picture, but comparing them both with an average-sized Marvel Legends figure--the most recent Mr. Fantastic--McFarlane is about half-a-head taller, Jazwares about half-a-head shorter. It's up to you if they play well together!

Likewise, Moon Knight scales well, with the top of his hood a bit taller than Mr. Fantastic. I know some might not care aesthetically for cloth outfits with other figures; again, up to you. There is a lot of cape, but it's pleasantly light compared to some of the hard plastic shells you get with Legends sometimes. I do feel like I have to wash my grubby little paws constantly to play with him, though. As usual for the line, he has a ton of accessories: alternate partially-unmasked head and hood piece, a staff, grappling-hook, nunchucks, crescent blade, eight alternate hands, and a stand with very elaborate cape-posing pieces. The One: 12 slipcase packaging is also collector-friendly--you could pack it back up for resale easily enough--if overly fancy for my tastes. But I'm cheap; I wouldn't mind if Mezco just threw it all in a bag and tossed it at me.

This is my first Marvel One: 12, but I've had a few of the Star Trek figures for a while. The joints take some getting used to, since you can't see where they are under the cloth outfit. The head and hands all pop on and off easily enough; but I have heard complaints the staff and nunchucks are sharp! Don't poke yourself and bleed on him, I don't know how you would clean that off.

I hadn't read the Mr. Knight version of Moon Knight in a while, from the Warren Ellis relaunch. I forgot that it was all white--tie, gloves, everything--and there was a moon-symbol on his mask. I did try both Mezco heads on the McFarlane body; but they are just sitting there: the neck-peg is actually part of the head.

So far Hasbro hasn't announced either a "Mr. Knight" or a classic Moon Knight; and if they don't this year I suspect that will be it until the Disney+ series comes out; which is scheduled for what, 2022 or something? Another date that seems both a million years away and optimistic as hell, but I suppose will be here soon enough. The clickbait sites had indicated Daniel Radcliffe from the Harry Potter movies was a front-runner; which could be either wishful thinking or scaremongering depending on if you're a fan or not. I don't think casting is even that far along, yet.

I was out for a bit this weekend and hoped to randomly stumble across a McFarlane Heart/Diamond, to finish the hand, as it were. Maybe later. In the meantime, I'm still using the last Hasbro Marvel Legends Moon Knight in strips, because in-story I haven't hit a point to swap off! One:12 may get more play later.

I still haven't played Fortnite either, but my oldest son does. He played a few games while doing laundry a bit ago, and got second twice! Which is pretty good, but also like getting tackled on the goal line as time runs out. I'd better ask if he's gotten a win yet!

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Damn, that is a sweet, sweet figure! I still can't justify to myself paying 80$ for just one figure, but then again I'd probably blow that on something stupid if I was in the mood.
Ok, so stupid question but how come the Jazzwear and McFarlane Fortnite have to be scaled differently? It'd make a lot of sense if they were made in the same scale right?


Finally, 2022 huh? Damn. I mean I guess it would make sense for Hasbro to put out a new MK figure around that time, but I'm impatient AF! Give me a ML Mr. Knight now!!!!
I know I watched a toy reviewer say he heard we might get a new MK figure out this year, but we'll see. I guess a classic MK figure wouldn't be too bad, especially if it's like a Walgreens/Walmart exclusive, but damn right I'd rather just have Mr. Knight instead.