Friday, April 10, 2020

They say 'quarantine' in this comic, now I'm obligated to blog it.


Is Easter this Sunday? Well, it's too damn soon to be going out again. Stay in. Read some comics, like today's book! From 2003, Superman #621, "The Mack Minute" Written by Joe Casey, art by Derec Aucoin, cover by Kevin Nowlan.

This issue opens with longtime baddie Copperhead getting jobbed by new masked vigilante Minuteman, who Superman talks to for about a minute later in the issue. He doesn't give the traditional my city/my rules speech Batman always does, but maybe he didn't have time, since Minuteman makes himself scarce mid-talk. Also, a bunch of kids turn into big, weird bugs; and later on Clark realizes the new mail guy at the Daily Planet is, conveniently enough, the Minuteman. He's a weird guy, taking his shoe off for some reflexology after Supes calls him out, but also claims the kids are just the start of the problem, as the demonic-looking "Anti-Angelica" are coming.

I hadn't heard of Minuteman before, so I'm guessing he didn't last long. His outfit is practical yet nondescript; he might've been more memorable if he had just gone into action dressed as the mail guy. The Anti-Angelica and bug kids are well-designed, though.

It's perfectly normal to feel like climbing the walls now: I certainly do, and I was pretty socially distant before all this. Actually, I'm kind of hoping I can sneak back into the crowd when it's all over, and act like I was there the whole time...

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

You're right, that's a pretty boring, generic-looking outfit. I like the name, as it sounds like the name of a golden age hero. Definitely wasted on this guy. And what's up with the bug aliens?