Tuesday, November 01, 2022

Hey, you know what we could use around here? More comics! After an oil change the other day, I stopped by the local Comic Book Shop's third location, and picked up over a hundred from the dollar bin. There were only a few miniseries complete in there, but solid veins of All-Star Western, Justice League Odyssey, and Slaine the Berzerker. Then, a number of random issues, like this one! From 2015, Batman '66 #25, featuring "Night of the Harlequin" Written by Jeff Parker, art by Lukas Ketner, and "Bad Men" Written by Gabe Soria, art by Ty Templeton.
This was the second appearance of 66's version of Harley Quinn: Dr. Harley Quinn had sacrificed herself to save Gotham from "the Joker Wave," and had become the criminally insane Harlequin, busting out of Arkham and intent on making the Joker proud. After sabotaging the Batmobile to eject the Dynamic Duo, and stealing the Bat-Phone, she starts her crimewave in earnest. It's a lot of work! So much so, she figures, what would the Joker do? Hire some goons! At a warehouse hideout, she gets a solid turnout--too many goons, in fact. One goon...chewing a match...suggests, maybe they could fight it out, last five standing get the job! Harlequin loves the idea, except two goons fight too hard, knocking out all the other applicants. Well, maybe two good goons will do; unless they were actually Batman and Robin! I feel like Harlequin was probably based on an actress that theoretically could've been on the show in 1966 or so; but I can't nail it down.
"Bad Men" features Barbara Gordon, but not Batgirl: she couldn't get away to change! On a temp job at an advertising agency, she's on the spot when Joker, Penguin, Riddler, and the Eartha Kitt Catwoman arrive; less to take hostages (although they do!) and more to "rebrand." If ad men can rehabilitate the reps of oil and tobacco companies, surely they can do something for them. "Gotham City should love to hate us as much as we love stealing from it!" as the Penguin puts it. Barbara has to jump up and volunteer to "help," and gets an idea after they scuffle over their agency's name: they were no match for office politics! This is of course a Mad Men riff; a show I have never watched. (When I was like 3 years old, I promised my grandma I'd never go into advertising! I wish I remembered when ad she got mad at...)

5 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Batman and Robin DEFINITELY look like they're taking their frustration out on those goons for being unceremoniously ejected from their own vehicle, Batman especially, who's just going to town on that poor bastard's jaw. So much so he knocks a main tooth out.

Which brings up a good point, I bet dentists & plastic surgeons LOVE Batman for all the business he sends there way.

Not sure who the casting directors would've casted to play Harley, but my picks would be either Ruth Buzzi or even better yet Phyllis Diller.

Honestly, the Bat-Villains here have a solid point about spin-doctoring their images. why not right?
Ok you've GOT to tell me that story someday about you sweating off a promising career in advertisment.

H said...

Sounds like a solid pickup for the most part. For some reason, I never knew you were out in Washington- you've probably mentioned it somewhere else but I must have missed it.

I know Poison Ivy was based on Ann Margret but I don't remember if they said who Harley Quinn was visually based on. My knowledge of 60's comediennes is admittedly spotty so I couldn't even venture a guess. Whatever- Batman '66 is a great book and I'm glad it got the decent-sized run and later mini-series that it deserved.

googum said...

I suspect Robin answers Harlequin's therapy/job interview question honestly: he's arguably done as much as good as humanly possible through the medium of punching; but punching alone isn't enough, is it? Although it's what he's good at...and he might even feel it's what he's good for. He was maybe four or five more goons away from a real breakthrough!

I also really enjoyed the animated Batman '66 movie with Shatner: near-perfect casting, he would've been the right age to be on the show, if maybe not as popular yet. Probably couldn't have gotten away from Trek to film it, either. And H is dead-on about Ann-Margaret; that one I recognized! Phyllis Diller sounds like a good guess, though.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

From what I remember John Romita based Mary Jane off Ann Margret as well. Nice choice because DAYUM was she a looker back in her day!

Still haven't seen that movie yet with Shatner but that honestly is perfect casting on that end. Imaging live action Two-Face with randomly spazzing out with his Shatnerisms is way too fun.

H said...

I believe the comic version of Batman '66 Two-Face was supposed to be Clint Eastwood, although that may have just been who the original script was written for. I know they were planning to do a Two-Face episode (a two-parter fits his gimmick perfectly) but couldn't figure out an origin that would get past Standards and Practices.