Wednesday, November 30, 2022

"Declined."

I've re-watched entirely too much Farscape the last couple weeks: it's been on PlutoTV, as well as over antenna on Comet, so if I wasn't doing anything like five hours of it could run in a row! But my use of Bastion was probably very much influenced by Scorpius, the antagonist for most of the series. I say 'antagonist' rather than villain, because while probably mainly motivated by revenge, Scorpy isn't necessarily a villain: he just has goals, and his means of reaching them run opposite the heroes. He also doesn't have the same morality, meaning he's not above using torture, duplicity, and extortion: the ends justifying his means. (Unless he was like, a quadruple agent: towards the end of the series, and in the follow-up comics, his true motives were blurred beyond obscurity.) Most of that isn't true of Bastion, of course, but he would share Scorpius's tactical sense: everything is a chess move, and he can smell weakness like blood. 

Another influence, a show I quit watching: the Walking Dead. I quit when Negan was coming in, despite Jeffery Dean Morgan being pretty cool; because I knew to establish him as a badass, he was going to kill a long-running character. But then, he would end up sticking around, the survivors would be forced to work with him, he'd join the 'team,' whatever. Basically, I knew he was going to be around probably the rest of the series, and nope. Hell with that. I get tired of "we have to work together" plots with the bad guy (even if, ahem, yeah.) and would love more of "we have to work together or we'll all die." "Then I'll see you in hell."

3 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Amen!

Killing him (Negan) eliminates a possible threat who had & showed no remorse for his actions, thus why spare him? Why work with him when you'd never feel safe enough to trust he won't or couldn't kill you out of nowhere.


Kurt made the right call here I feel with this. There's just no way the other mutants would fall for Bastion's bullshit, nor feel safe enough to anticipate Bastion lying in wait to eventually strike when their guards would be down.

That last line about Magneto's speeches definitely feels like an unintentional diss on Claremont, who was INFAMOUS for his long, rambling speeches. Of course in his case, maybe he WAS being paid by the word *Shrugs*'

Looking very much forward to what's coming next.

H said...

Wait, when did Magneto stop being a villain? I'm really behind the times here (probably because I don't keep up with X-books).


Surprised that Bastion is surprised (or at least using the 'we're not so different' card) with Jen- she's probably the most entitled of the Hulks. Also, I'd consider Doom more of a Scorpius (as far as I can tell from your description- Farscape was never my thing) than a bad guy. I know that sounds weird after I straight up called Magneto a villain but Vic seems more sincere about it.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

@H:
I'm not 100% sure on that. Probably around 2006/07? Definitely by '09/'10, but let's just say for the brevity of time, he really & truly was no longer considered a "villain" by the time Hickman's run began. Or at the very least whenever he & Prof. X FINALLY got on the same page & became best friends again.

Despite having watched enough episodes of Farscape to somewhat form an option on the series, in the beginning Scorpius was a straight out unrepentant evil bastard! Cold, manipulative, that whole deal. Then he somehow got fused with Crichton at some point, I could be misremembering, but somehow it seemed like Scorpius was infected/influenced by Crichton's morality & seemed to be slowly transforming into a tweener.


Anyhoo, it really depends on who's writing Doom at the time doesn't it?