Friday, April 27, 2012

"DUM-DA-DUM DA-DUM." And mashed potatoes. That's all I remember.


Oh, I don't have all of Walt Simonson's Alien adaptation, but I have this: Marvel Super Special #3, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind," edited and adapted by Archie Goodwin, illustrated by Walt Simonson and Klaus Janson, based on the Steven Spielberg movie.

I know damn well I've seen Close Encounters, but it's probably been twenty years. Seriously, even re-reading the comic, it seemed familiar, but like hearing a story someone told you once. Still, I'm glad to have this beat-up old copy of it, and there's a nice afterword from Goodwin on the difficulties of adapting any film to comics (particularly one so intertwined with its John Williams score) and a thank-you to everyone he worked with on it.

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I remember watching Close Encounters once as a kid. Not a bad movie, and certainly a nicer/optimistic one with good aliens as opposed to evil one bent on conquest.

As for problems adapting comics to movies, yeah no shit! Jim Shooter and anyone else who's made comics based off movies can testify to that I'm sure.

David Andrews said...

Wow! You have a class Comic Book site my friend. When you have the chance, please check out my comic site at - http://www.comicbookandmoviereviews.com

Also, connect to me via Google Friend Connect, you may get some more visitors.

Thanks for reading my message. Jay