Friday, April 08, 2016

I had thought I'd read this, but now I'm not sure.


Finally got a copy of a long-sought grail, or a reprint at least: from 1984, Green Lantern/Green Arrow #5, reprinting the classic Green Lantern #85, and the slightly-less classic Green Lantern #84. #84 "Peril in Plastic!" Written by Denny O'Neil, pencils by Neal Adams, inks by Berni Wrightson. #85 "Snowbirds Don't Fly!" Written by Denny O'Neil, art by Neal Adams.

Come to think of it, I may have another copy of this somewhere...I love that cover, but may have blanked some of the details of the story; which infamously features Green Arrow's old sidekick Speedy on heroin. For his part, Ollie is shot with a crossbow and beaten up a couple times; before he and GL are dosed up with heroin themselves! And Ollie is really, really blind to Roy's habit; even when he finds Roy in a "shooting gallery" and when Roy pretty much spills his guts on how he felt Ollie abandoned him and turned to heroin.

Of course, now I'm not sure I've read the next issue. I'd like to get the reprint, since it also features a story with Ollie running for mayor, a plotline that has been revisited a surprising amount of times!

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I have Peril in Plastic" as part of the Blue Ribbon reprint digest specials, but not this one. Ha ha, the sight of Hal and Ollie fucked up off some H, oh yeah....killing it.

I don;t get why they keep going with Ollie a mayor, since I figure he'd feel too stifled and held down by red tape to wanna put up with that bullshit.

SallyP said...

Oh Ollie. I have to say that Hal and Dinah so a much better job of listening to YOUR sidekick!