Thursday, January 31, 2019

Continuing our tradition of buying video game figures for games I don't play: Destiny 2!


Admittedly, I don't play a lot of games lately, but not unlike the Evolve Funko figures we've seen here; today we've got a batch of discounted action figures that we'll figure out something for. It's McFarlane's Color Tops #43-46 for Destiny 2: #43 Cayde-6, #44 Zavala, #45 Ikora Rey, and #46 Titan.

I'm not going to research the characters, but I did look up the voice cast for Destiny 2, since I thought I remembered seeing an ad for it. I also thought Patton Oswalt was involved; but the voice of Cayde-6 was Nathan Fillion. (Or, alternately, Nolan North for some of it.) That seems like I'm more way off than usual...This game was also from Bungie, the studio that made Halo; and I did check because I wasn't sure if it did well, but apparently Destiny 2 did all right. Maybe not Fortnite good, but still.

In fact, Fortnite might be the reason these are being cleared out: locally the Cuddle Team Leader sold out pretty quickly, maybe even the Raptor as well. I'm not sure how long these Destiny figures were on the pegs, but the character design isn't as...lively as Fortnite. Or Evolve, really. But then, without looking I'm not sure any of these four are player characters; they might be NPC's doling out missions or exposition.

Not so much in the armor, but Zavala's head has a very Kree feel; particularly if you watched Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. These are all fairly decently articulated--not Marvel Legends good, maybe not as good as McFarlane's own Fortnite, but not bad for the designs.

None of the characters have holsters; not even Cayde-6 who seems like he should. Instead, the guns all have pegs that I (stupidly) thought were for a two-hand grip; they're for stowing them on their back or Cayde's leg. It looks okay on the bigger weapons, but not as good on his revolver-like pistol. The Titan comes with two guns, one that's bigger and more ornate and may mean something in the context of the game; and a little orange...thing, that looks like it's supposed to float around following the character, but there's no attachment or anything. Cayde and Titan also have sculpted, non-removable knives; and they all came with bases. Titan's base is larger, the others are nice and unobtrusive.

Without having any attachment to the characters, these still aren't bad. Definitely five bucks worth, anyway!

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I'd say for 5$ they're definitely a good deal. I don't doubt you'll be able to use them for future 'Pool and Kurt skits from here on out.