Thursday, January 24, 2019

Yeah, but Carl's Jr. and 7Up haven't got me any comics lately.


I was fairly certain I hadn't read this one, but now I'm not sure if I did and just don't remember, or if Curt Swan's art always just looks familiar to me. Moreover, I didn't know there were Carl's Jr. restaurants in 1983, either. From 1983, The Superman Movie Special #1, "I Have Met the Enemy...and He is Me!" Adapted by Cary Bates, based on the film script by David and Leslie Newman, pencils by Curt Swan, inks by Sal Amendola. This was a very beat-up copy, but I didn't find this cover in the GCD, so I uploaded it; we'll see if it sticks!

This adaptation of the movie came with a different cover, with 7Up and Carl's Jr. branding; so it was probably some kid's meal giveaway promo. It was 48 pages of story, so to their credit it looks like they sprung for the full issue and didn't cut it down any. Not that the story flows really well, which is hardly Bates or Swan's fault. It feels a little rushed in spots, with some pages that don't look like Swan: maybe because he was trying to go with the movie likenesses. Still, this page, some of the faces remind me of Klaus Janson:

There are some weird choices in this, though: a satellite changing weather in South America gets a full page, as does Gus Gorman trying to puzzle out what to do for the unidentifiable element in his synthetic Kryptonite. (It's been a while since I've seen it, but I think the punchline was "tar.") Some of the more fun scenes, like the dark Superman in a bar, are cut; possibly because they weren't kid-appropriate.

It's not the best one, but it's still impressive how wrong Christopher Reeve looks as dark Superman. Wish the comic had done more with that!

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I wish the movie had done more than that. That shit was gold as Dark Superman had so much potential.