Monday, January 21, 2019

It happens sometimes, but it feels like it's been a week or more since I've read any comics. Well, any that I'd blog, anyway. I did read a couple weeks worth of Uncanny X-Men, as X-Men Disassembled trundles on...Crap, I just had to stop and order the variant cover for #8, I'll post it when it turns up. That's fitting though, since I was mildly enjoying the series to that point, and the last two issues didn't quite sit right with me. Maybe because I had gone back and read #2-#8 at once; or maybe because I've seen the upcoming Age of X-Man solicits: the series seemed to be moving along well enough, and then moved into a hard push to a bunch of spinoff miniseries. Marvel's chasing that Age of Apocalypse high; and not for the first time; but again, hard push.

Spoiler for #9, if you're not reading week-to-week: There's also a scene where Jamie Madrox, the Multiple Man, who had been mind-controlled and turned into a weapon earlier in the series, is nearly taken over again. It doesn't work, since he had bagged out and sent a duplicate instead. X-Man (controlling Legion at the moment) isn't able to force him to make more dupes, and the dupe is less than thrilled with the original. I don't know if that had changed at some point, but I thought the dupes could make more dupes? Also, while he is doubtless the absolute easiest character for a writer to bring back from the dead, I don't recall if Jamie's most recent demise in Death of X was even mentioned.

Storm and Kitty also badmouth Jamie, which I thought was mean and beneath them. And unfair, since I don't recall the X-Men ever helping Jamie in the least. Storm gets taken over and turned into a "Horseman of Salvation" almost immediately thereafter; joining Magneto, Blob, and Omega Red under X-Man's control. Outpowered, the X-Men clear the benches; with a ton of mutants we haven't seen regularly getting the call. There's Meggan and Kylun from Excalibur, Dazzler, Firestar, Sunfire, Maggott...It's getting everybody in one place for that Age of X-Man, yeah. And I'm already on the hook for the Amazing Nightcrawler book, so we'll see how that goes.

Scans from Uncanny X-Men #9, "Disassembled, part 9" Written by Matthew Rosenberg, Kelly Thompson, and Ed Brisson; art by Yildiray Cinar, color art by Rachelle Rosenberg. We're up to 61 covers by the tenth issue, because Marvel, that's why. I did have a reason for ordering the variant I did, but man, that's a lot of them.

5 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Damn, must be bag on Maddrox month/year. Wow. I'm just sure Peter David is rolling his eyes so hard at this they're about to fall out.
I'm never really thought of him as a coward, nor where this is coming from about him.
PLus he was usually written to be a hell of a lot more competent than he's currently being written.

And you're right; they haven't explained his return from the dead. Maggott's either from the looks of it.

CalvinPitt said...

Jamie was brought back from the dead in the Multiple Man mini-series that came out the second half of later year. Written by Matthew Rosenberg, who is also writing Uncanny X-Men now. It involved a lot of time travel and alternate dimensions, and Beast coming up with a serum that would let a Madrox duplicate create his own duplicates. It was a confusing mess, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but basically we got a Jamie Madrox back at the end. Rosenberg wrote all the X-Men as hating Jamie's guts and considering him really annoying there, too. I don't know where that's coming from either.

googum said...

Ugh. Did they explain what happened with Layla Miller? I thought Peter David had her and Jamie off living happily ever after.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

You're right, he did didn't he? So typical of certain writers and editorial ignoring what came before in order to suit their own plans.

CalvinPitt said...

I think Layla is still living on a farm somewhere with her and Jamie's kid. I thought I remembered her dying alongside Jamie in the utterly pointless Inhumans vs. X-Men, but apparently not.

At the end of the mini-series, the last surviving duplicate (who had ended up in an alternate timeline as a bartender for awhile, don't ask) takes what's left of Beast's serum and says he's going to go look them up. So in theory we'd have a Jamie who could make duplicates that lived on a farm with Layla and their kid.