Friday, May 22, 2020


Sometimes I'm ahead of things on this blog, and sometimes it's like, did I even read a comic last week? Well, since I was looking at the new "Mar-Vell" figure the other day, why not take a look at a not-especially recent comic with him? Sort of. From 2000, Captain Marvel #11, "Together Again for the First Time!" Written by Peter David, pencils by Jim Starlin, inks by Al Milgrom.

Starlin art is the big draw on this one, since I find myself not in the mood for David's usual shenanigans: Rick Jones acts like a childish lout throughout the issue, the subplot with Marlo and a ghost at her comic shop seems to eat so many pages, and some of the wordplay and callbacks aren't as clever today. But, after an encounter with the Silver Surfer, Genis finds a rip in space and gets sucked into it despite Rick's advice of "hey, maybe don't." In another reality, Mar-Vell has finished his final battle with Thanos, but does the Mad Titan have a final trick up his sleeve? Actually, no: he's bleeding out, but still canny enough to take advantage of any opportunity. Conversely, Mar-Vell seems mad as hell.

Even though rookie Genis had been instructed by veteran Rick on how to avoid a "classic misunderstanding brawl," it takes a while to get Mar-Vell to stand down: Genis explains he died of cancer, which this Mar-Vell had as well, and he wasn't expecting to survive, either. They only have a few moments, before Thanos arrives, looking far different than Genis expected. (I have to wonder who's idea this was; or if Starlin didn't want to draw classic Thanos for whatever reason.) Thanos mocks them both, obliquely, noting they would have to seal off the rift before both universes bled out like him. Mar-Vell embraces his 'son,' telling him he's proud of him. Genis returns to his universe, seals the rift, doesn't explain squat to Rick, and surprises Moondragon with a kiss. (That feels a little invasive now!)

Meanwhile, after sealing his side, Mar-Vell returns home (to Titan?) to die, but it's worse than that: he'll die alone and unremembered, since Thanos had already killed everyone in their galaxy before he was stopped. Mar-Vell had saved the rest of the universe, but they would never know. Still, he's comforted to know someone would remember him. Until he died: Genis was killed off in Thunderbolts #100 of all places. I know I have that, but can't recall it; I'm pretty sure it's not a great end. Also, I re-read this before I posted it (for a change...) and caught a typo, that Mar-Vell died of cancel. I don't think anyone's died of that; not yet anyway...

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Yeah I've heard of this one too. I didn't know that Captain Mar-Vell died alone though. Goddamn David, wtf!? It was already depressing enough, but then you just had to pile some more shit on top.

Ok so I'm curious here. I know Genis was really created by Ron Marz, but I wonder if killing off Genis was a way to say fuck you to David. Honestly his death served absolutely NO purpose other than a "shock" for the readers.