Thursday, June 15, 2023


Despite the John Romita Jr/Klaus Janson cover, I'm pretty sure I had fallen off this book before this issue. But, it's all right: from 1992, Punisher War Journal #43, "Adriondack Haunts" Written by Rich Rainey, breakdowns by Val Mayerik, finishes by Fred Fredericks. 

The letters page thought the next issue--"Barbarians"--was from the same creative team, but that was written by Chuck Dixon. I don't know if I saw any other credits for Rainey; was he a pseudonym for some reason? Or was this a fill-in? Either way, this is a pretty straightforward little number, as a mountain climber is shot at the summit, so he can be abducted by a mob doctor's crew. The climber has a little more agency than usual for this type of story, as he's able to explore the facility and see what was in store for him. 
Of course, I read this the weekend after Punisher #12 came out; the last issue and possible-but-probably-not swan song for the character. I'd read some of the run, and the concurrent Daredevil storyline, and not really loved either; although I can see some of the things they were trying to do. It attempts to give Maria Castle more of a voice than she'd ever had; although I thought she flip-flopped on her choice a bit. I'm not sure anyone likes where this ended--the readers, the characters, Marvel itself--but watching right-wing comics "fans" lose their little minds over it wasn't as entertaining as you would hope, either. If it helps any: Moon Knight appears the last couple issues; in the last one seemingly piecing together for himself why Frank was the way he was.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Yeah I just happened to see via a video I watched on YouTube explaining how his recent series wrapped up. I guess it makes sense for Maria to shoot him, especially with her STRONGLY disagreeing about using their deaths as an excuse to be come a vigilante, yet it also seems out of character for her as well. I guess you chalk it up to her resurrection as why she decided to act like this?

Now Frank's conveniently dropped off in comic limbo, aka Weirdworld while Marvel cools him off & hopes if enough time passes, people will forget all this, as they attempt to reset him from scratch. Good luck with that.

Although a mini-series about Frank's adventures in a place like Weirdworld does seem oddly appealing.