Monday, June 05, 2006



As Not Seen in Stores!


Although his official name is Crimson Mist Batman, from DC Direct's Elseworlds Series 1, I prefer the simpler Vampire Batman. Today, for those of you who might not normally buy such things, he's standing in as our example of a direct market toy; so we can discuss the difference between mass and direct market.

Why should you care? Because last Christmas, when my wife asked me what toy I wanted (I get one!), I knew Vampire Batman was going to be out before Christmas, so I told her "Vampire Batman." In retrospect, I probably should have told her the proper name, and where to find it. DC Direct toys are direct market, which means you can't find them at the big outlets. As my wife can attest, having dug through peg after peg of Batman Begins action figures at Walmart, Target, and Toys 'r Us, on the day after Thanksgiving. In fact, Vampire Batman didn't even hit the comic shops until mid-December. Did I mention I have a loving and forgiving wife, and should be thankful every day she doesn't smother me in my sleep?

Mass market would be your major outlets: Walmart, Target, Toys 'r Us; or even your smaller shops like the local drugstore. Really generally speaking, mass market toys are going to be everywhere, and thus relatively easier to find. That's not to say every mass market toy is going to hit every outlet, though. Direct market toys would be through more specialty outlets: generally, comic shops, although some will show up at Hot Topic, Tower, or similar stores. As a more specialty, or boutique item, they are usually produced in smaller numbers and more expensive than the mass market toys.

So, a big movie line like Batman Begins or Superman Returns would be mass market, while a niche item like Gotham by Gaslight Batman or Red Son Superman would be direct. While quality can vary between lines, the mass market are what the public would think of as toys, the direct more of a collectible. (Would you rather your child break a $7 toy, or a $16 collectible?)
My lovely wife did of course manage to get me Vampire Batman from the local (and exceptional) Comic Book Shop. One of the upsides to a direct market item is that there is often a release date set, as opposed to mass market, which can arrive a little more haphazardly. (I'm still waiting for the Walmart exclusive Giant-Man wave of Marvel Legends in my area, for example.) Also, a good comic shop is also a more customer friendly outlet: not only will they be more knowledgeable about such geekery, but most will order the item in question for you and set it aside or pull it in your name upon arrival. Try calling Walmart and asking for a Kitty Pryde action figure. Chances are, you'll get the pet department.

These are of course broad generalizations, but we're just trying to hit the high notes here. Also remember, there are mass market toys that are better than their price point would lead you to believe; and direct market toys that would be crap at half the price. Moreover, some things just won't move off shelves no matter how great you think they are, and others have their fans that will buy any junk you throw at them. So as usual, there's no accounting for taste. Except for mine, which is great. Where toys are concerned anyway.
Next: Case lots!

No comments: