Thursday, November 07, 2019

I wish I was hardcore enough to quit a job by lighting my card on fire.


It's entirely possible I'm going to cave and get the Mezco One: 12 Moon Knight, and if I do I'll probably have to look into getting him an Avengers ID card. Then maybe a lighter. From 1993, Marc Spector: Moon Knight #50, "Bloodrites" Written by Terry Kavanagh, pencils by James P. Fry, inks by Chris Ivy.

I'm scheduling this for later, but I'm writing this shortly after re-reading Moon Knight #11, which also featured Frenchie prominently. Or rather, Jean-Paul Duchamp; since he seems to be more than sick of the nickname. Or he may be Bloodline, his ancestor Henri Remont manifesting in Jean-Paul's body, as part of an elaborate generational plan of a secret Templar organization. It's somewhat reminiscent of another Jean-Paul, Jean-Paul Valley, future replacement Batman Azrael, which would've come out the year prior. There's another organization fighting the Templars with generic bad guys, and another lost love for Jean-Paul that's part of the conspiracy, and it's kind of a mess.

The scene promised by the cover, Moon Knight burning his Avengers ID card in the faces of his scowling former teammates, is given short shrift. In fact, Captain America and Hercules don't appear here; but MK does first blow off a call from Black Widow, then ditches Thor (Eric Masterson) to beat up a pimp. That earns MK some respect in Thor's eyes, while USAgent seemingly reverses his support after hearing the charges against him. Since Moon Knight was more concerned with Jean-Paul's disappearance, he didn't have time to plead his case; although maybe he could've asked for help? Or tried? Either this was done to set up that cover, which I do like; or maybe editorial felt like his Avengers' membership had been a mistake that needed to be rolled back.

I really liked the Infinity War crossover Moon Knight #42, but I haven't loved most of the other issues I've seen from this series. That cover, though...

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

So basically the cover's better than the comic itself. Sure looks like it.