Monday, September 21, 2020


Just like the other day with Frankenstein, I would've sworn I had Essential Marvel Horror as well. (In fact, recently I bought another Essential X-Men I already had, and had to take that back in...) So we have the original instead of the reprint today, even if I'm still scratching my head. From 1979, Marvel Team-Up #81, "Last Rites" Written by Chris Claremont, pencils by Mike Vosburg, inks by Steve Leialoha.

In the previous issue, Doctor Strange got turned into a werewolf; so this month it's up to Spidey and Satana to save him. (With Strange's love and last month's guest-star Clea left to sit there and look concerned.) The GCD's recap is short and to the point: "Satana helps rescue Dr. Strange, but she loses her life in the process." Poor Sat hadn't made a ton of appearances at that point, and Claremont may have written a lot of them, including her Marvel Premiere issue, but I wonder. Damien: Omen II would've come and gone the year before; and looking it up Marvel's Tomb of Dracula was about to wrap up: I suspect editorial was putting a lot of the horror stuff out to pasture. It would not have a heavy presence in the 80's there.

I honestly thought her horns were real for most of this issue, and that maybe they disappeared when she died? But now I'm thinking it was just a hat. A terrible hat. That can't be comfortable...

3 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Ok, well then have Kurt ask Sat where her horns are at. That should solve that one right?

H said...

I don't have Essential Marvel Horror either but this one is also in Essential Marvel Team-Up 4, which I do have. Some good stories in there, highly recommended.

Anyway, this one's pretty good. There was another Doctor Strange two-parter not even six months before this so I wonder why they would do them so close together.

googum said...

Someone does ask Sat! Soon.

I had to look, I don't have any Essential Team-Up! Two-In-One, yeah. Always vaguely looking for ones I don't have; some are getting rare.