Thursday, April 07, 2022

All-in-one-take Hodge and the Podge:



1. I haven't done one of these in like a year and a half, and thought it would be something I could knock out while I watched a movie! Yeah, no such luck, since I was watching One Cut of the Dead, which I had been wanting to see for some time and was surprisingly unspoiled on, which means I probably didn't even watch that trailer I just linked to. Spoiler alert, then? Go in as cold as you possibly can. I've wanted to try out Shudder for some time now and never have, because I'm a cheap bastard I don't want to get sucked into paying for multiple streaming services at the same time. But, I found a somewhat alarming amount of their DVD's at the Dollar (and a quarter) Store: so far I've watched (Satanic) Panic, Prevenge, the Barge People, Yummy, and the Night Shifter. Out of that lot, I think I liked Prevenge the best; although gory cheapie the Barge People has its moments if you remember other crap horror like Humanoids from the Deep. One Cut is a solid letter grade better than the rest, but I still have Tigers Are Not Afraid and a couple others to watch. 

 2. If I'm lucky, tomorrow I should do something I probably should've done two years ago, and buy a new bike: I think my old one would take enough time and effort to get going now that buying a new one might be cheaper. Eh, maybe not, but definitely faster. I should make a note to take the old one to the shop mid-November and tell them to finish it when they finish it...I had a job some years back where, weather permitting, I would bike to work, about twenty miles round trip. Sure I was gone for an extra couple hours a day, but I was in such better shape! Largely because if I'm on my bike I'm not cramming Doritos down my piehole...Just kidding. Bike Doritos are extra-delicious. 

3. I didn't mention it, because of the paranoid notion I would be looted to the bare walls if I did, but I was on vacation last week. My folks and the Youngest and I went to Disneyland for a day, which was fun; but next time I'll have to see if we can get to wherever the hell they keep the Marvel stuff...is that in the California Adventure section? I don't know. I didn't pick anything up, though: I didn't want to drop thirty bucks for a Greedo figure; and was kind of running for rides and didn't take the time to shop. The new app replacing FastPass or whatever worked about half the time; so it saved me a wait a few times but I did spend an hour in line for Space Mountain...which I still love. The Star Wars Resistance one broke while we were in line, though!  
4. I wanted to see the Marvel end of the Disney stuff since I wanted to see if they were giving Moon Knight a push--hey, it's him or Morbius, man. There's a shot from the premiere of Oscar Isaac meeting a "mini-Moon Knight" and...you know he cut a guy's face off once, right? Yeah, I don't think the Disney+ is going to go there; which shouldn't disappoint me but does a little? I did really like the first episode, though; although the current Moon Knight book is also killing it. 

5. Here's where I tried to go back to something I liked on Twitter but can't remember what I was looking for...maybe it'll come back to me.  
6. I thought I'd mentioned this one here before, but maybe that was Twitter: Basehead's "Not Over You," which was on the soundtrack to a 90's movie called Floundering. I know I've seen it, and I had the soundtrack somewhere: can't remember a thing about the movie, couldn't find the CD, and their album Play with Toys wasn't on iTunes, either! Hadda buy it from eBay, which was probably cheaper, but still. I've been listening to that and Pet Sounds lately, and the throughline would be both albums seem to feature artists that are kind of going through some things and trying to articulate it to friends who don't seem to get it, and maybe put a lot of work into their album for not the immediate response they expected. Hmm. 


7. Everything Everywhere All at Once isn't currently playing locally, which is pissing me off no end, since I could probably walk into Morbius right now. Ah, Morbius might be catching a bit of flack because of Jared Leto, who no one seems to particularly like but inexplicably still seems to get a lot of work. I always thought Goran Visnjic from ER would've been a good Morbius: would've nailed the accent I imagine him with, easy. Anyway, I don't have high expectations for Morbius but it's probably watchable crap. Maybe. I did see the Batman last week, and that was way better than I thought it was going to be! It feels weird to have a new Bat-flick out and virtually no interest in action figures for it: I've bought a Hot Wheels Batmobile, and that was about it. No Marvel Legends movie Morbius, either? Huh. 

8. Alright, speaking of Legends, I have a bunch pre-ordered--Bonebreaker and the Controller--but after getting Quasar, it feels like I don't have any I was really waiting for bad. Rrr, something I keep thinking about doing but haven't yet is set up a whiteboard for whatever crap I have coming. I just preordered a Stacy Keibler WWE figure, even though I don't know her or watch wrestling, but she looks like a great administrative assistant-type. That Rowdy Roddy Piper from They Live should maybe be next week--that one's gone in and out of stock, and good luck finding him on a shelf. I have three unrelated figures coming from Amazon...good grief, in May? That feels like a hundred years away. Maybe I shouldn't have completely lowballed the shipping...But, it's three figures that were all dirt cheap for a brief moment--well, it's more like three characters and a vehicle. Hopefully they're all reasonably in-scale with each other...  
9. Do I have to have an opinion about the slap? Ugh. I'm also not thrilled about hearing Louis CK's name again: I didn't listen to him before, and don't care to now. All that bitching about 'cancel culture' and it's like a goddamn zombie that won't stay dead. Up next, the new Fantastic Beasts film is looking like it's going to tank or underperform, and Rowling will blame it on transgendered people, and that'll be a fun week of discourse. Just...just let them be, is that so hard? God. Trans rights are human rights, abortion is health care, and Republicans are garbage. The latter is a broad generalization--I know it's not 100% true...isn't it? Republicans, Christians, and increasingly Americans are falling into the same boat: so many of them are aggressively, unrelentingly, terrible, that any good points any of them might have ever had are far overshadowed.  
10. Shoot, I missed an episode of the new MST3K while I was out, but they haven't released the full season yet. If I set up that whiteboard, I need to add crap I backed on Kickstarter to it. I backed that Mike Mignola documentary at a higher level than I remembered, which reminds me I might need a new Blu-Ray player; the Blu seems to have gone outta mine...There should still be time to back Alter Ego, a graphic novel that looked great and had a great hook: "By day, the streets are protected by Whiz-Bang, a grinning, gregarious defender of goodness. By night, the City of Angels is defended by an entirely different kind of hero: The Black Dog appears in a cloud of smoke, a mysterious vigilante determined to strike fear in cowardly criminals. And unbeknownst to the mayor, the police force, the entire city…these radically different heroes share an incredible secret: They are the same man." Sounds neat, although it'll be a bit from backing until when it shows up. Hence I should set up the whiteboard...I have another of Karl Kesel's Impossible Jones coming, and have to check if I missed the latest of Ron Randall's Trekker or if I'm caught up. I thought some creators were going to give up on Kickstarter since I think they wanted to pivot to...ugh...NFT's or blockchain or some stupid thing; but so far none of that seems to have happened yet.

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I definitely need to to start riding a bike again myself. Maybe once it stops fucking raining so heavy over here like it Seattle or something. April Showers...no shit!

Have you seen the Disney Plus MK tv show figure yet? He looks great. PLus we're getting a Mr. Knight figure as well and I'm ALL for that let me tell you.
No Morbius movie figures? That just sounds weird not to have out for the kids & collectors to buy. Same for the new Batman movie. Is this a new trend now?

googum said...

Mmm, there are the Batman figures, but they're either various kid sizes or McFarlane. No thanks!

Wasn't Morbius delayed like half a dozen times? If they had wanted to do a figure of him, it would've been out well before now...Those DC Multiverse Suicide Squad figures had Leto's likeness; I guess. Hopes may not have been high.