Monday, February 19, 2024

Needle drop! Tired, obvious needle drop, but sure.

Huh, I thought the song started with "whoo who" or whatever. From 1987, Mephisto Vs. #2, "Sympathy for the Devil" Written by Al Milgrom, pencils by John Buscema, inks by Bob Wiacek.
It's been years since I've read this series, but I grabbed two issues from the quarter bin recently; and I think Mephisto was trying to pull a trading scheme like we saw Huey, Dewey, and Louis do, except with souls. Start with nothing, then keep trading up, until he had Thor's soul. And I think Mephisto lets slip, he started with nothing: X-Factor thought he had the Invisible Woman's soul; but he just had her as hostage. But, if they made a deal based on bad info, well, that's on them! This issue is also maybe not a load-bearing piece, but is lodged right into then-current continuity; in a brief window when X-Factor was still running their fake mutant-hunter cover, Warren was in the hospital post-Mutant Massacre, and Scott's wife and kid were MIA but presumed still alive. None of the team does real well, but Scott seems to get repeatedly clowned and/or screaming ineffectually for Jean. I had needle drops in mind, since I had been writing posts at a pretty good clip, then got sucked into watching Preacher on Shudder! It's not as good as the comic, sure; and I maybe wouldn't have made Hitler a recurring character; but I like the actors and the music. And this extrapolates from a brief scene in the book!

4 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Damnit Goo, I do believe you may have just re-sold me on the Preacher tv show based off that clip alone. Damnit.

Honestly, I'm surprised the first issue of this series DIDN'T feature those very lyrics to the infamous Stones' song. Just seems like a missed added bonus.

I'm sure ol 'Phisto often catches himself singing that very song to to every new song he collects. If he didn't, I'd be heavily disappointed in him.

Scott, and by IMMEDIATE extension, Shooter & anyone involved with Scott leaving Maddie & his son should be constantly owned & bagged on for what they allowed to happen just roll things back for the sake of starting a monthly.

googum said...

I kinda wish the show had taken more time to breathe, with the main characters just hanging out, dicking around, etc. There's a pretty good playlist on YouTube of songs from the show, though--"Your Sins Will Find You Out" by Eli Paperboy Reed is a highlight.

H said...

There actually are a few omnibuses for this- check out House of Mystery: The Bronze Age Omnibus. There are three for this one and two for House of Secrets. I can’t seem to get a link in but it’s right at the top of the list.

H said...

Sorry- that was meant for the post before this.