Tuesday, February 06, 2007

I wanted to make a 'bughunt, man, game over!' joke, but I haven't seen Aliens in a while.
Foo. Now I wanna watch Aliens.
From Marvel Knights #6, "Reckoning" Written by Chuck Dixon, pencils by Ed Barreto, inks by Klaus Janson. I skimmed through the first series of that book the other day, and I want to put together the second so I can re-read that. I liked Dixon's better, or maybe just remember it better. Since I haven't read the new Punisher's War Journal yet, these series was the last time I saw the Punisher in the Marvel Universe proper.

This particular issue was a Maximum Security crossover: aliens decide to use earth as a prison, and dump a bunch of dangerous bad guys from Marvel's past there, and Bishop from the X-Men books, for some reason...I read a few of the crossover issues but missed the main series somehow. I may be completely off here, but in my skull Genesis from DC and this hit about the same time, and both derailed the crossover machines for a while. (I'm pretty sure Maximum Security may not have been great, but it had to be better than Genesis. Bet the farm.)

Frank figures he's got a crackhouse, and instead finds an alien monster turning crackheads into zombie slaves. Even though I wouldn't trade the Ennis version for Dixon's, he does have some good lines. And for good measure, Shang-Chi fights Zaran, who's surprisingly bad-ass for someone who used to be in Batroc's Brigade; and Moon Knight buys his way onto the team. (Looking at Moon Knight's current series, you can draw the line from him at the top of his game, rich and getting a bit lazy; to where he starts in 'the Bottom.')

Anyway, not a bad little series, maybe analogous to a Champions series for the year 2000. Keep an eye out, and you might find some issues on the cheap.

No comments: