Wednesday, February 28, 2007

From Batman: Gotham Adventures #58, "Crazy Talk" Written by Dan Slott, pencils by James Fry, inks by Ty Templeton.

As Scipio would put it, Rhino would be a denominated henchman, and a fairly effective namebrand at that: I don't think Scarface ever expected Rhino to take Batman, but he was always good enough to hold him up, and buy Scarface time. Unfortunately, with a name like 'Rhino," you know you're not getting a rocket scientist, but he was always sweetly loyal to his boss.

Recently in the regular Bat-books, the Ventriloquist and Scarface were 'rugged out,' 'whacked,' 'sleeping with the fishes,' etc. I don't think Rhino was killed, but that makes it even sadder: a lost lonely henchman, mourning the loss of his boss, now nothing but kindling. Moreover, Ventriloquist and Scarface were pretty much the only new Bat-villain in the last what, 15 years? that was worth a toss. You heard me, Bane, you suck. Luckily, they've made memorable appearances in both of the Batman cartoons, so maybe someday...

I've had this post on file for some time, saving it for an occasion when pictures wouldn't load...like today. Since then, Dini introduced a new Ventriloquist with a different take on Scarface, and so far I like where he's going with that. It hews pretty close to Alan Grant's idea of Scarface carved from gallows' wood and supernaturally evil, from a Scarface one-shot with art by Charles Adlard, that I don't have in front of me...

Also, I like the animated Creeper better than the regular version, I think. Funnier, with less baggage. He's appeared in the Justice League Unlimited comic as well, and I hardily recommend both comics. And not just because I wish I had the excuse of being full of Joker venom to wear a speedo and furry boa to fight crime...

No comments: